The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

I Am So Smart...S-M-R-T....

I found an article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune (thanks to Fark) with a quiz containing 10 questions from scientists about basic science knowledge. See how many you can get, then check yourself against the actual answers at the bottom of the page here.

1. What percentage of the earth is covered by water?
ROBERT GAGOSIAN, WOODS HOLE OCEANOGRAPHIC INSTITUTE

2. What sorts of signals does the brain use to communicate sensations, thoughts and actions?
TORSTEN WEISEL, ROCKEFELLER INSTITUTE, NEW YORK

3. Did dinosaurs and humans ever exist at the same time?
ANDREW C. REVKIN, NEW YORK TIMES SCIENCE REPORTER

4. What is Darwin's theory of the origin of species?
JONATHAN WEINER, 1995 PULITZER PRIZE-WINNING AUTHOR

5. Why does a year consist of 365 days, and a day of 24 hours?
LESLIE SAGE, NATURE MAGAZINE

6. Why is the sky blue?
ROY GLAUBER, 2005 NOBEL PRIZE WINNER; HARVARD UNIVERSITY

7. What causes a rainbow?
KIM KASTENS, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY

8. What is it that makes diseases caused by viruses and bacteria hard to treat?
HELLE GAWRYLEWSKI, JOHNSON & JOHNSON (AND THE AUTHOR'S MOTHER)

9. How old are the oldest fossils on earth?
PAUL NURSE, 2001 NOBEL PRIZE WINNER; ROCKEFELLER INSTITUTE

10. Why do we put salt on sidewalks when it snows?
ARTHUR KNUDSEN, BRIDGETON, N.J., SCHOOLS

Extra credit: What makes the seasons change?

4 Barbaric Yawps:

At 16/4/06 1:55 pm, Anonymous Paul said...

Dude! Where'd you get that badass picture of Nicolas Cage?

 
At 16/4/06 3:11 pm, Blogger Chad Lindsay said...

Hey bro. I did OK I guess. I screwed up the "why is the sky blue" question. I remember there was an answer in my 8th grade science text book that said it was the refraction of light off of invisible particles in the air that cause the sky to APPEAR blue when it isn't actually the case. Damn, where is Mrs. Pattison's number? I need to correct her...

The oldest fossils, I didn't know. I just know that they are old...haha

And I got tripped up on the "why does salt melt ice" question. I was always told that salt "melted" and mixed with the ice, and lowered it's freezing temperature. Salt water freezes colder than zero, therfore no ice. Maybe that's what it said, didn't get the "increases the number of molecules" answer. I could increase the number of molecules by adding sand, but it wouldn't melt the ice...I dunno. I got kicked out of school with you, but never went back and finished like you did...

 
At 16/4/06 5:16 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

hahahaha...Paul, if you only new how often I get mistaken for Nic Cage. It's a blessing, it's a curse.

Hey man, yeah, I messed up the salt/ice question too. That's the only one I got wrong though, so I'm happy. (Yeah, I finished uni, but it took fuckin' six years to get a three-year degree - but I can still make a wicked bank shot at pool)

 
At 18/4/06 3:43 pm, Blogger franky said...

I hope that I'd be able to get partial credit on this. Some of mine were close, but some were way off. I guessed millions instead of billions for the oldest fossil.
For the ice, I guessed it was some sort of molecular reason, but not what they had. Cool though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home