The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Friday, April 07, 2006

In My Day...

I think I'm getting older. I mean, I know I'm getting older, but I see clues in the things I do and say now. For instance, I recently aquired the urge to take up golf. I've never golfed before in any meaningful way but I was in the mall and the golf section just beckoned to me.

Also, I now have ear hair. What the fuck is the use of that? I'm thirty-five, not eighty. I don't need the evolutionary protection of stiff hairs to keep shit out of my ear-holes. Man...

Speaking of evolution and I.D. ("Intellectually Devoid" of science), a researcher here in Canada was recently denied a grant approval to investigate the detrimental effects of studying "intelligent" design by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). Seems like a normal enough thing to look into, but nope - not to the SSHRC. They said that he had not provided "adequate justification for the assumption in the proposal that the theory of evolution, and not intelligent design theory, was correct." (my emphasis)

Wow. Now, the committee claims that this sentence was taken "out of context", but unless the prefix of the quote reads, "We would give you the money but it has already been earmarked for coffee, donuts, and shares in the new Mariah Carey fragerance; however since we can't say that in a grant application reply, we'll say what the Sandwich Delivery Guy told us to say: that you didn't give..."

Yes, it appears that religious assnuggets have made their way to the Great White North and they want to make us believe in the truth of Jebus, stop killing seals, and change our trademark "eh" to "eh-men".

We should promote and popularize the "War on Atheists". Of course, if that happened, the Christian Right in both Canada and the U.S. would not only not deny it, they'd take up the fight with vigor. They just don't believe that atheists can be moral without their superstitions. Slavoj Zizek said recently in the NY Times, "When I do a good deed, I do so not with an eye toward gaining God's favor; I do it because if I did not, I could not look at myself in the mirror. A moral deed is by definition its own reward." Precisely.

There is no need for me to go into all the reasons that "intelligent" design is wrong and full of...what's that term? Crap. Right. I was, however, in my car checking out CBC radio yesterday and there was a letter read from a listener who said something to the effect of, "...evolution isn't the only theory out there, so we should be exposed to various theories - that's how we get smarter." Basically, that's what the guy said.

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to explain the difference between "theory" in common language and "theory" in scientific language. When Ralph and Potsie had a "theory" that Fonzie still couldn't see, and they took his motorcycle apart again as a practical joke, only to find out that Fonzie's vision returned in full - that is the the common definition of theory. A scientific theory has to stand up to evidence, it has to conform to what we see around us and explain things. It has to make predictions. Oh, and it usually isn't based on the writings in a 2000 year-old book. Religious folks just don't understand that, "...this is real complicated...musta been Jesus done it...", is not acceptable in science.

Jesus certainly can't explain my goddamn ear-hair.

0 Barbaric Yawps:

Post a Comment

<< Home