The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Good Book Survey

Here's an interesting book survey I saw at Goosing the Antithesis and decided to take up. Enjoy and tackle it yourself, should you choose to accept....

1. A book that changed your life.

As cliché as it is, The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan. It's the book that really tipped the scales for me towards science and rationality while keeping me from becoming a hate-filled, spiteful bastard...although you wouldn't know it from a lot of posts on this blog.

2. A book you've read more than once.

I haven't read any book more than once, if I remember correctly, but I do go back frequently and re-read sections of books. Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman is one of those, as is Sophi's World.

3. 1 book you'd want on a desert island.

I thought about this one and I'd have to agree with my fellow survey filler-outers and say the SAS Survival Guide, with the added point that I would like the pages to be laminated.

4. 1 book that made you giddy.

Stiff by Mary Roach. It's a great piece about human cadavers and what they're used for in many different areas. Interesting and, at times, hilarious.

5. 1 book you wish that had been written.

Any one of those stupid Chicken Soup for the... books. They make major coin, I just don't think I could look myself in the mirror.

6. 1 book that made you sob.

Want to know what a huge puss I am? Love Story. I read this in high school and the end actually made me cry. I suck.

7. 1 book you wish had never been written.

The Celestine Prophecy. If more stupid, self-important bullshit has been said in the name of another book (minus religious tomes), I'd like to hear it. James Redfield is a douchenozzle.

8. 1 book you're currently reading.

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins. It's great and I'm enjoying the journey backwards through evolutionary time to meet some of my extremely distant relatives. If only the rest of the world would accept evidence for all of their beliefs instead of just the day to day stuff, we'd be better off.

9. 1 book you've been meaning to read.

I have to say more than one book, because I have gotten through most of the Bible, I've hit parts of the Koran, and I'd like to plow through the other religious texts. The problem is that they're just so goddamn boring, redundant and pointless (not to mention threatening, scary, and completely fucked) that they hurt my head. Eventually I'll get through them.

9 Barbaric Yawps:

At 27/9/06 9:57 am, Blogger Paul said...

Hey, Mike. I think I've mentioned this before, but the link associated with your header image goes to photobucket instead of your front page. From within an archived entry on your site, there is no way to get back to the main page.

 
At 27/9/06 11:10 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

That is right. I just tried it and you could not be more correct. My friend did my header image and I'm too much of a techno-tard to do anything about the slight glitch. I have to hope that the people reading my archives will have the presence of mind to just go to the address bar and erase everything after the ".com".

I have faith (is that the right word?) that my peeps will come through.

Thanks! Oh, and any hints as to how to actually fix that would be greatly appreciated. ;)

 
At 27/9/06 5:31 pm, Blogger Aaron Kinney said...

Yo BHM!

Nice list. Laminated pages for the survival guide is a good idea. Ill have to remember that hehe.

The first book you listed, Demon Haunted world by Carl Sagan, is definitely a favorite of mine. I read that about a year ago. I really loved that ok.

Unfortunately for me it seems, I was already a long-time atheist by the time I read that book. I can imagine though that, like you, if I read that book before I became a materialistic atheist, it probably would have hit more more like a ton of bricks and less like a delicious dessert.

What I mean is, it would have been more of a shocking eye opener than a delectable intellectual dish that was merely expressing more elcoquently than I could the things that I already knew.

I wish Carl were still alive. What a great guy.

Ever read Contact?

 
At 27/9/06 5:42 pm, Blogger Aaron Kinney said...

Mike,

You have forced my hand. After reading some past posts of yours, I realize that I must take action.

Im sorry, but you leave me little choice.

The quality of your writing and the sharpness of your wit can not be ignored. I have added you to my blogroll at Kill The Afterlife!

 
At 27/9/06 5:42 pm, Blogger Bruce said...

any hints as to how to actually fix that would be greatly appreciated

I'm no expert, but my guess is that if you log into your blogger account and then edit your template, scroll down until you find the section for your Blog Header and replace
href="http://photobucket.com" with href="http://www.mikesweeklyskepticrant.blogspot.com/" and then of course save the changes and republish for the changes to take effect.

 
At 27/9/06 5:51 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Aaron,
Yeah, I agree about DHW being much more "hard hitting" if you're not a bastard atheist already. I haven't read Contact, but it's on my "get-to" list. I tend to read two or three books at a time (attention deficit is a bitch) and it takes me forever to plow through stuff. Thanks tons for the blogroll add! I have your site bookmarked but not blogrolled, which means I have some template adjusting to do, dammit! You shall be rolled.

Bruce,
Thanks man, I'll check into that and try to rectify the situation. Don't be scared if you try to go back to my site from an archived post and end up at Jenna Jamison's Fuck Emporium, however. My mad skillz only roam so far.

 
At 28/9/06 10:12 pm, Blogger Paul said...

You fixed it! Except that it opens in a new window. OK, man. Baby steps.

 
At 28/9/06 10:24 pm, Blogger Bruce said...

You fixed it! Except that it opens in a new window. OK, man. Baby steps.

Get rid of the 'target="_blank"' after your URL (didn't notice that the first time).

 
At 30/9/06 8:30 pm, Anonymous Sean Kehoe said...

I haven't read The Ancestors Tale yet but I picked up A Devils Chaplain and it's a very good read. I think the Selfish Gene will always be the classic though. George Gardner's Fads & Fallacies In the Name of Science is a book that I'll never tire of reading.

I gave up on trying to read the Bible for the same reasons. It has some interesting stories but there is so much dull shit in there.

You'd think that the word of God would stand out a bit. You'd read it and suddenly feel "Hey, this has moved me in a way I've never felt before" but no, that just didn't happen. I'd take Terry Pratchet any day, even if it meant an eternity in hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home