The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, October 02, 2006

"I'll Most Likely Kill You in the Morning..."

Stay with me here, I do have a point to make.

I love mixed martial arts (MMA) fighting. The Ultimate Fighting Championship, K-1, and Pancrase are my favorites of the many events and organizations that put on these fights. I'm not going to get into the arguments for or against this type of sport, but I do have something to say about the perception of it.

When I watch the events with other people, there is invariably someone there who hasn't seen one before or is new to it. Usually these people have seen street fights or bar brawls, maybe the occasional boxing match and they have their opinions of what a fight should look like. Nine times out of ten, these folks leave slightly disappointed with the grappling aspect because they don't understand it; they don't get that someone can win a fight when the loser looks completely unscathed.

Apart from that, there's always comments about how can the fighters shake hands before the fight, then try to knock each other out, then hug and congratulate each other afterwards, likely going for a beer or something. "How can they do that?!" is always uttered along with, "How can they get punched in the face and not get mad?!"

I'll answer that right here (and this is coming from a guy who's been punched in the face more times that I'd like to admit): it's not personal. It's a job to them. You go to work and shuffle papers all day, these people go and work out to get in shape so they can make another guy unconscious. That's it. It's nothing personal (with obvious rare exceptions).

The analogy I want to draw here with arguments, particularily with respect to religion, is that I can criticise your position and what you believe without getting personal. I can demolish your most cherished religious holdings deep within your heart and still have respect for you as a person. It's not a personal thing that I or many other non-religous people have against church/religous people. We just think what you believe is stupid and unsupported by any evidence whatsoever and we're not going to tip-toe around it. You're full of shit, but we will still buy you a beer to chat about it.

All you have to do it let us and be open, and that's where the problem comes in a lot of the time. You won't let us. Yeah, we can be jerks and we'll probably call you names, but isn't that better than punching you in the face? I think so. Plus we usually don't mean any harm with the name-calling anyway - it's just our juvenile way of trying to be clever.

So there is a difference between attacking you personally and us doing what we think is right. Your position is not "sacred" any more than ours is, so don't expect us to back down anytime soon and don't expect us to be polite - but we promise we won't try to kill you.

5 Barbaric Yawps:

At 3/10/06 2:11 pm, Blogger Bruce said...

but we promise we won't try to kill you.

Too bad they don't play by the same rules (as history has shown).

 
At 3/10/06 5:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your humor very funny....question...I would love to hear your opinion...Do you think that science is faith? Faith meaning, it requires a good does of "I cant explain that logically." Heres an example:

Evolutionists tend to be big bangers. Not all but most. Take science way back in time...to the "Start of all life"...Who made the matter? Who made those first molecules? And if they weren't made where did they come from? How can something just start from nothing? I have a friends who are Atheists, believe God is female, etc., I'm a Christian. I have friends who are different from I because I don't let differences keep me from respecting someone...so on that note. Take this email with sincerity...The problem is with all beliefs, one cant explain God always existing and having such power and on the other hand, science can't explain something like matter creating itself all on its own even though, it didn't exist before he started to create itself...Faith is the starting point for science...They say,,,I cant explain it but I believe it....how would you answer? Explain the start of all life..- Raven

 
At 3/10/06 10:11 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Hey Raven,

Thanks for reading and leaving the comment/question. I tried my best to answer it in my next post. Have a good one:)

 
At 4/10/06 7:11 pm, Anonymous rory said...

so what your saying is that atheist are fedor and xtians are everyone else? haha, take care, i love your site.

roryhand.com

 
At 12/10/06 10:48 am, Blogger Bronze Dog said...

Who made the matter? Who made those first molecules?

No one. So far, we've seen no evidence that matter and energy were created. They thus far appear to be eternal (though they do go through a lot of change)

How can something just start from nothing?

The Big Bang makes no such claim. There was never a nothing, if that makes any sense.

...science can't explain something like matter creating itself all on its own even though, it didn't exist before he started to create itself...Faith is the starting point for science...They say,,,I cant explain it but I believe it....how would you answer? Explain the start of all life..- Raven

That's where you misunderstand. Since we've been thus far unable to create or destroy matter/energy, we have no reason to assume it can be created or destroyed. As for the Big Bang, we've got evidence: The cosmic background microwave radiation and the current expansion of the universe. If you've got a better explanation for that, I'd like to hear it.

Eternal matter/energy is more parsimonious than a deity: We know matter/energy exists and that we haven't been able to come up with a way to create or destroy it. We don't have any evidence to suggest a deity exists, much less that it has the ability to create matter. We don't even really have a good standard of evidence to look for to prove the existence of a deity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home