The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What? Me Worry?

I was pretty stressed.

Some of you may know that my wife is pregnant with our first child at the moment and is about half way finished making it. It's an exciting time. That made last Friday quite stressful for us when we found out that her blood tests came back with an elevated level of a particular substance that was indicative of a potential neural tube defect.

Because I'm a massage therapist, I knew that neural tube defects were no joke. It can go so far as to be fatal with catastrophic deformations like the brain forming outside the skull with associated microcephaly. Obviously we had to get an appointment and see what was happening.

Fortunately, we had an ultrasound and the radiologist said that, after looking closely and taking careful measurements and stills, all looked well. We still have to go for genetic counselling and screening, but the weight is off for the most part. Here's a picture:
Baby Profile
My point in telling that little story is that I think being a person with a naturalistic world-view really helps me in situations like that. Not believing in a personal god(s) who takes an interest in my life lets me be free from the horrible "why" questions that arise in tough life times.

Imagine all the mulling in your head of "Why did this happen to me?", or "Why my child?". It would consume you. I can't even fathom the grief people must wade through when attempting to figure out the motivations of the creator of the Universe because he gave their child spina bifida or some such ailment.

When you lose that handicap, you realize that we live in a natural world governed by natural laws. Bad things happen, yes, but genetics is a stastical business and sadly, some people win the lottery you never want to win. There is no reason for a certain mutation appearing and when you know that, you can deal much better with the grief and get on with adjusting to your new life.

Anyone who tells you that being an atheist or having no faith is a dark and unfulfilling existence does not know what they are talking about. Being a naturalistic person has allowed me to navigate an extremely delicate and emotional time with confidence. It is a fantastic way to know the world around you and one that should be evangelized (minus the annoying doorbell ringing and stupid "don't use a condom or you'll go to hell" things).

3 Barbaric Yawps:

At 14/12/06 9:34 pm, Anonymous Melissa said...

Holy crap, batman!!! I'm glad that the ultrasound turned out well. And a very cute baby picture, by the way. Looking forward to the Deck.

 
At 14/12/06 10:15 pm, Blogger Sara said...

Oh my goodness... what a scary time this must be. My heart goes out to you and your wife, and I hope that your wee one turns out beautiful and healthy. *hugs*

 
At 4/1/07 4:41 pm, Blogger Lord Runolfr said...

"You know, I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5 "A Late Delivery from Avalon" (by Michael Stracynski)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home