The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Dear Skeptic, Let's Face It....

Over the past weekend we received a little paper from our town. Inside was a small, well-produced flyer saying boldly on the front page, "Dear Skeptic, Let's Face It. You've been given many reasons to doubt the bible...". It was an advertisement for a series of talks put on by the Institute for Creation Research (ICR) and publicized as the 2007 Bible Skeptics Conference and offering "questions by you...answers for you."

I thought, well I'm going to have to go to this. The talks are quite literally a five minute drive from my home and if they are asking me to attend (being a skeptic and all) the least I can do is attend. Plus, this is one of their arguments in the flyer:
If there were ANY chance that you could be wrong - and that a literal hell does exist - isn't that too great a gamble for eternity? Shouldn't you be 100% certain?

Yeah... If Pascal's Wager is the best you can do in your literature, you may have been spending too much time trying to convince children that people and dinosaurs lived at the same time.

In any event, there are four gentlemen associated with the ICR coming and the first lecture on Friday, February 23rd at 7pm, at Sinclair Secondary School in Whitby, Ontario is called The Evolution Delusion. A man named Bruce Malone is doing the talk. I am attempting to organize a group of actual, well-read skeptics and scientists to go over to this lecture and provide these people with questions and opinions from a "reality-based" population. Feel free to join us - presently Dr Laurence Moran, possibly King Aardvark (if he can make it) and I are going. Should you be in the East Toronto area, come on!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Barbaric Yawps:

At 12/2/07 4:44 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Hey Mike, I don't think I'll be able to make it, though I'd love to. Fridays are date night with the wife. I can't take her there - a seminar by the ICR would just get both of us worked up in opposite directions. Not a good thing.

Anyway, have fun and keep me posted on how it goes. If things change and I can go, I'll let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home