The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Respect My Authorataaaa!

I went to a wedding over the weekend. It was quite nice and the reception was fantastic, although the crab legs made me a little queasy for a short while. At least I think it was the crab legs. What the hell do I know. Maybe it was Jesus just making me uncomfortable for laughing in the church earlier in the day.

See, it was a big ol' Catholic wedding. I was raised Catholic so the silliness really gets to me know that I've been an atheist for 10 years or so. It truely does jump out at you after a while. Take, for instance, the fact that the couple getting married has been together for almost a decade and has been in a committed relationship. The priest is at the altar, talking to them ("lecturing", if you will) about the intricacies of being part of a couple. A man who by fucking definition must remain celibate and chaste is giving out relationship advice. Nice.

Apart from that, it's the most inane, goddamn basic advice you could imagine. "Be available for each other" - yeah, thanks. "Say you're sorry" - ok, got it. Do you have anything for me that I couldn't learn from a twelve-year-old kid who has a girlfriend he gave a promise ring to? Didn't think so.

It's a bizarre concept that we have these "special" people who make it ok to be with someone else. As if these people have some sort of connection to all that is permissable and the rest of us must depend on them - oh, wait, that's the point of religions! Keep those folks "special" so they'll have jobs.

It is time to downsize, people.

0 Barbaric Yawps:

Post a Comment

<< Home