The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Tonight is the Night - The Creationists are Coming

In my town tonight, a man from the Institute for Creation Research and Bible Skeptics is doing a lecture called The Evolution Delusion. I'll be attending for a lark and to maybe ask a question or two during the Q&A - and I'll have a tape recorder so I can transcribe the happenings in a post tomorrow. Should be fun.

Dr Laurence Moran of Sandwalk is coming as well. Good times on a Friday with a creationist confrontation! Just as a sidenote, on their flyer it asks specifically for "skeptics" to show up and bring their questions. It even says this wonderfully silly paragraph:
If there were ANY chance that you could be wrong - and that a literal hell does exist - isn't that too great a gamble for eternity? Shouldn't you be 100% certain?

Yeah, so aside from the grammatical point that these folks believe that this "hell" place actually exists, which would make it a proper noun and as such should be capitalized, the paragraph is again the tired old Pascal's Wager bit that has been totally picked apart too many times to get into.

Using the Wager as a draw for the general population in their flyer seems to indicate they are expecting fairly green "skeptics" to show up, if any at all. We'll see if they're at all prepared.

3 Barbaric Yawps:

At 23/2/07 3:25 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

I wish I could join you, as it seems like an educational experience =P.

Though rationally it should be like shooting fish in a barrel, they'll probably Gish gallop as an answer to whatever questions you ask then move on without letting you respond. Good luck. Should be fun anyway.

 
At 24/2/07 12:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so annoyed now. If only I had known ahead of time about this event, I would certainly have come along. I hope it went very well for the side of reason, and look forward to hearing the details.

 
At 24/2/07 9:29 am, Blogger Larry Moran said...

Something came up and I couldn't make it last night. I won't be able to get there today either.

Sorry to miss the fish. Let me know how bad they were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home