The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ok, I Was Wrong. Jesus Is The Way and the Light.

I received this letter.
Greetings Mike
I wonder if this might interest you:
About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].
...................................................................................................
Truly there is a God, although the fool has said in his heart, there is no God [Psalm 14]. And it assuredly exists so truly that it cannot be conceived not to exist. For it is possible to conceive of a being which cannot be conceived not to exist; & this is greater than one which can be conceived not to exist. Hence, if that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, can be conceived not to exist, it is not that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, but this is an irreconcilable contradiction. There is, then, so truly a being than which nothing greater can be conceived to exist, that it cannot even be conceived not to exist; & this being you are. O Lord our God. [St Anslem]
Peace Be With You
Michael

Why do religious people feel the urge to write me saying that they are better now? Do they think I'm not well? I mean, I agree with them that I'm rather abrupt in my writing, particularily about religion and its stupidity (I'm guessing that the last piece about the damn Poop piqued his interest), but if I see a fundie ranting and raving on the sidewalk (or on his/her blog), I just think, "man that's annoying - I wish they'd realize the level of bullshit that they're peddling."

Maybe he thinks this about me. I wish he'd just walked on by, but he didn't so here we go.

Michael says this, which I think is quite telling: "I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities." Did you not even read my last post? Why are you, a grown, adult person, still afraid of a place that equates to Narnia? It's make-believe, man. "Do what we say is right or you'll burn forever." You said you went through, "four months of absolute terror" - don't you think that's more than three days or however long it took your supposed Jesus to die on the cross? Not to mention that LOTS of other fellas died on crosses...so why was Jesus' death so special? Or meaningful? What about Appolonius of Tyana - miracles, disciples, died, rose...hmmm... There are precious few people who have done heinous enough things that I'd say, "yeah, that prick deserves to burn and suffer for all time". I seriously doubt you'd qualify, SonnyJim.

Oh, wait, here's the verses he says inspire him so much:
John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Well of course you can tell which way the wind blows from. That's easy. This is pseudo-spiritual mumbo-craptro that only has meaning for people who are so mentally lost they could find meaning in...oh, I don't know...poisoned Kool-Aid. Paging Rev. Jones...Rev. Jones, we have a new member of The People's Temple waiting in the lobby...Rev. Jones...?"

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me

Well isn't that nice. A "comforter" will come and testify. Marvelous. Oh, wait, he forgot to find inspiration in a verse about 20 lines up: "John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." Nice, eh? Much like the many other times the bible says that God will burn people to death forever and ever until the end of all time, loving father that he is. I wonder why the "comforter" was so angry with people, like me, who think he's not real? I find it odd that people like Michael just skip over these parts of the bible.

Then we get to the gem of the letter: "Truly there is a God...And it assuredly exists so truly that it cannot be conceived not to exist." Oh no, I can conceive of "it" not existing. What I can't conceive of is how the FUGGIDY FUCK to make sense of that entire "paragraph" under the dotted line. Is that the sort "reasoning" you are swayed by? Well fuck, now I get what I've been doing wrong. Ok, try this:
For surely god does not exist, for not existing is akin to existing without seeing; surely seeing but not existing is existing but aside from hearing, and hearing plus existing minus the cube root of existing must surely equal less than the greater sum of gods parts left of his scrotum, after allowing for the hearing, seeing and not existing to exist apart from non-existance and sight.

See, so god can't exist. QED.

This guy apparently wanted to share his story with me because of this verse:
Luke 8:16 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light. (8:17) For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.

I'm guessing that this means that once you have a "light" in your life, you show it to everyone so they too can have light. The thing is, his "light" is the fact that he got himself better from whatever fucked up place he was in back in '94 or whenever the hell he was messed up. I'm genuinely glad for the guy that he's better, but take some fucking credit, man! Give some credit to the hospital staff and therapists who helped you a bit.

If you need to believe in some man in the sky/holy spirit to get through the day, so be it. You need to know, however, that (and I assume here that you live in North America) life isn't that fucking difficult here. Problems arise, certainly, but belief in shit that doesn't exist will, in the end, only magnify your shitstorm.

Forget your god, forget your holy spirit, come in out of the shitstorm and start living your life, dude. And to answer your initial query, no, this didn't interest me.

8 Barbaric Yawps:

At 29/3/07 9:18 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Wow, that last paragraph he wrote sure was something. Even with the random scrotum reference, your parody paragraph doesn't come close.

He probably thinks all atheists are as messed up as he was. Fortunately, we don't feel overwhelming guilt about our "sins" (usually some damn sex-related thing, anyway) so we're ok. As someone said in the previous post, once you realize that it's all manipulative BS, then you really feel free.

 
At 29/3/07 9:55 am, Blogger ordinarygirl said...

And to answer your initial query, no, this didn't interest me.

But it made a damn fine post.

It reminds me of when I was in college. My boyfriend's mother received this packet in the mail telling her she was a "Beyonder" and that made her special and loved. It was so crazy that I just had to write a research paper on it.

 
At 29/3/07 11:36 am, Blogger Godless Geek said...

The line about deserving to go to hell stood out to me in the comment when I read the original thread. i was going to blog on this guy until I saw you already had.

He probably thinks all atheists are as messed up as he was.

I doubt he was an atheist. He never said that he was, he just said, "I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my 'psychological prison.'" I think that most people who "find Jesus" already believe, but just "realize" that they are not "living their lives for him", or some other such nonsense.

This is just a case of him not letting himself take credit for taking control of his own life and allowing himself to receive the help he needed, and then crediting religion for what he should be crediting himself, his doctor, and his nurses.

 
At 29/3/07 1:16 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

GG, I wasn't trying to imply that he was an atheist. I actually got the same understanding about him as you did. Sorry about the confusion.

However, to a lot of Christians, atheists don't really exist. From what I understand, to them, God is obvious - even atheists feel his presence. Becoming a Christian just entails agreeing to live by God's rules and accepting Jesus into your life as a buddy (to paraphrase) instead of resisting. My impression is that this guy felt he was resisting.

 
At 29/3/07 1:39 pm, Anonymous markbt73 said...

"This wind you talk of blows us from ourselves..." --Romeo & Juliet

I saw this exact same letter on another blog earlier today. Dude must be making the copy & paste rounds.

 
At 29/3/07 3:58 pm, Blogger Mark said...

The last paragraph he wrote is the so-called Ontological Argument for god. It has been rebutted long ago. Its mistake is assuming that existence is a property of things. For example, if you accept the reasoning of the Ontological Argument then you must also accept that this statement makes sense: "I have in my pocket two bananas, one of which does not exist.".

 
At 29/3/07 6:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That link made my head hurt ;-)

Just as true believers do not need physical proof to believe, I do not need to debate long drawn out illogical arguements to justify NOT believing.

 
At 8/1/08 12:21 pm, Blogger MICKY said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home