The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Roll Up the Rim Job

Roll Up the Rim Job
So up here in Canada we have this annual thing at Tim Horton's coffee shop called "Roll Up the Rim" where there are (so they say) prizes hidden under, appropriately enough, the rim.

I'm wondering if anyone who reads this ranting has actually won anything more than a coffee, a donut, or a muffin from these goddamn things. This is operant conditioning at its finest by Timmies, let me tell ya. They're making millions a dollar at a time and all they dangle in front of our faces are a couple fuckin' boston cremes and a medium double double*. We're like the rats in the cage pressing the metal bar to get the food, only for us pressing the bar equals paying $1.43 for a large coffee and then gnawing on the fucking cup only to be randomly reinforced with a small sugary snack. Dance puppets, dance....

Do you have any idea how much money I've spent on coffee the last two months? Seriously, I don't ask for much - just one of the 42" widescreen plasma TVs. Come on...help a brother out.

They can run a summer camp on donations of nickels and pennies, but from guys like me it's all take take take. Bastards.

* for those south of the border or elsewhere who may not know, a medium double double is a medium coffee with two cream and two sugar.

7 Barbaric Yawps:

At 16/3/07 8:33 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

If you want that plasma TV, you've got to pray for it ;-)

Seriously, though, I have several friends who spend gobs on coffee, Roll up the Rim or not. I've never seen one of them win a significant prize. I've heard about it, but given that these are friend of a friend stories, I don't put much faith in them.

 
At 16/3/07 10:06 am, Blogger Larry Moran said...

If you read Roll Up the Rim you'll see an example of someone who won a stereo system (me).

 
At 16/3/07 2:31 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

That's cool that you won something, but I think I've done better by not being a coffee drinker.

Let's see, 4 coffees/day at $1.43, say for 4 working weeks which is 20 days = $114.40

Wow, I could buy a stereo system for that.

Or I could spend it on beer.

 
At 17/3/07 2:31 pm, Blogger Mojoey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 17/3/07 2:32 pm, Blogger Mojoey said...

From down south here in LA, a double double is a In & Out Burger double cheese burger. Yummy too, I had two last night.

 
At 18/3/07 11:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew what a double double was. I had a great friend who loved them. Unfortunately, she died a senseless, needless, tragic death almost 2 years ago. I think about her all the time. It was nice to remember her double double!

And I've never one anything from Tim Horton's either. They're all the way down here in Southern Ohio!

 
At 23/3/08 8:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People are SO focused on winning those 'fabulous' prizes that they aren't realizing the actual odds.
You have a 8 in 9 chance of NOT winning. And it really is true. I've been doing my own kind of tally and I've won 1 time out of 17 (hoping my next coffee or the following becomes a winner). I gave up wanting to win any of those big prizes anymore and I am just happy that they give me a food product every now and then. Also, I don't waste extra money or go there extra times just because of their 'event'.
Good luck to you, hope you get at least a $50 cash card this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home