The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"Moga" - What, Now?

I find it depressing that most people know who got kicked off Dancing with the Stars, but have no idea where Somalia is on a world map. Seriously - if you stopped 100 random folks on a street corner, what percentage do you think would have any clue where Mogadishu is? This shit has beeng going on for year and years and who gives a fuck? No one.

Yet another place where a government is trying to set up and a bunch of religious retards is trying to violently take over and make their invisible douchebag the Lord all Penii and Vaginas. Our species really needs to get a fucking grip.

7 Barbaric Yawps:

At 5/4/07 5:14 am, Blogger Atheist in a mini van. said...

About six months ago, a friend of my daughters was doing a social studies project and she needed 100 adults to label a map of the world with as many countries as they could. There was no time limit. The only caveat was that the adult could NOT look up a map in a book or computer 2 hours prior to the test.
She tested my nanny, my husband, and I, all on the same night.
I was able to label 98 countries, correctly. I got "close" on 20 more.
My husband had the middle east down pat. But, he only received a correct score of 63.
Our nanny... a fundy Christian got 9. Period. I'll never forget it. She labeled the following, correctly; Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Australia, Russia, China, Japan, France, and -for some weird reason- Israel. That was it.

 
At 5/4/07 7:43 am, Blogger Maggie Rosethorn said...

Oy...P-momma....I think I'm glad I didn't do that test. While I would do better than your nanny, I'm afraid I wouldn't beat even your husband. But it might be interesting to try it.

Mike...I couldn't find Mogadishu on a map, but at least I'm aware of it. Watching the news tends to push me towards violence towards the television, so I content myself with reading the newspaper which isn't injured when I throw it across the room in disgust.

 
At 5/4/07 8:20 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Yeah, fair enough, Maggie. I also tend to want to throw the paper. It's much less costly to replace. And it's not so much the "knowing where it is" that bugs me - it's the priority of stupid meaningless shit over stuff that affects us and everyone else.

P.Momma - I'm not surprised at all with the "9" thing. To be frank, I'm amazed she got that many if she's actually a fundie. The self-centeredness never fails to live down to expectations.

Both you ladies have a great weekend.

 
At 5/4/07 8:59 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

My wife, an evangelical Christian, doesn't know where in the US California is. I'm guessing she would not do much better than your nanny.

Seriously, how can you not know England? It's sitting right there off the coast of mainland Europe. At least my wife knows that.

I'm happy I haven't been watching Dancing with the Stars. Entertainment news is the last thing I read in the news these days. But unfortunately, it's the only part of the news that most people care about.

 
At 5/4/07 10:32 am, Blogger Eamon Knight said...

Hey, I know where Somalia is (though not any of its internal geography). But: dancing with who? In pop-culture, if it ain't Star Trek (or SF in general), I probably never heard of it. (That's the difference, BigMike, between scoring 38% and 98% on the Nerd Test ;-).

My vote for overblown story: tainted pet food. Yeah, it sucks if it's your doggie or kitty that snuffs it (I've got cats, of whom I'm very fond) -- but a dozen animals in all of North America is really not that big of a hazard. More humans than that die on the roads every day (never mind getting blown up in Baghdad).

PossumMomma wrote:
...and -for some weird reason- Israel.
Not surprising. Aside from being the scene of the action for most of the Bible, Israel plays a big part in the obscene reality show that is fundamentalist eschatology.

 
At 5/4/07 12:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pet food story is big, but not for the reason the press is making out. The really shocking thing is that if you, for example, fed your pet cheap wal-mart food, then decided to switch them to high quality Iams or Nutro, you just discovered they are all made in the same factory and are equally tainted by mystery toxins out of China. Personally, I was pretty pissed about the whole thing - both the fact that all those pet foods come out of the same factory, and that North Americans are buying food with ingredients out of China. It's only luck it didn't occur in the human food process, the stuff that was tainted was supposed to be 'human grade' food.

Oh, sorry, got me ranting there for a minute. As for the country game, I think I could do pretty good, but mostly because I try to keep up on BBC news. US news sucks. I thought I would scream if I heard one more report about Anna Nicole Smith as if she actually mattered to anyone, when there was actual news going on in the rest of the world they could have been reporting on.

-Steph

 
At 5/4/07 4:14 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Man, I just tried the country labeling thing and only got around 75 due to my complete inability to remember Africa or parts of Central/South America.

I never knew Mogadishu was in the southern part of Somalia. Good to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home