The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Pope's Bush

President Bush went to the Vatican recently to meet the Pope, and he did it in typical Bush style. I gotta say, for as much as I can't stand the guy (ok, either of those guys) he certainly made me laugh in this article.

He called the Pope "sir", which is obviously respectful, like he was meeting one of his dad's friends on the ranch. The Poop is supposed to be referred to as "Your Holiness", but this little etiquette tidbit didn't make it to the Bush camp...unless it did and they purposefully decided to blow it off - which would make them a little bit cooler in my book. I believe it was the former coupled with the fact that none of them probably care.

Among Benny's books in his library, Bush sat with his legs crossed "Texan style", whatever that means. I'm assuming that it is when one ankle is on the other knee and the legs are crossed, but quite open. I'm hoping that "Texan style" doesn't mean "balls hanging out" (not that it would surprise me).

I'm moderately sure that Bush didn't purposefully set out to break tradition and etiquette norms. I'd be more of the mind that he had no clue about them. That said, I'm smiling now because maybe folks will see that the world won't end if people don't show Benny any more respect than you give to your buddies.

At least Bush's social fuck-ups are useful for something.

3 Barbaric Yawps:

At 12/6/07 8:37 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

I'd love to see what would happen if you had a private audience with the pope. Would you call him poop to his face? Benny? Rat Face? Something unprintable?

I'm amazed W didn't give the pope one of his crazy nicknames, like pope-n-fresh.

 
At 13/6/07 10:00 am, Blogger tina said...

Ahhhhrg! Don't do that Mike, they might burn you at the stake or put you in stocks! lol!

 
At 13/6/07 5:12 pm, Blogger Intergalactic Hussy said...

pope-n-fresh LOL!

"I'm moderately sure that Bush didn't purposefully set out to break tradition and etiquette norms. I'd be more of the mind that he had no clue about them."

I agree. I think he's just self-centered. Like many conservatives and religious people. Sad, but true. It's all about what they believe should be what everyone believes.

In addition, Bush enforces more societal "norms" than breaks them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home