The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tagged - Right in my Face

I seem to have been tagged by both PossumMomma and Tina to do the recent listy thingy. So here's the rules and shit and my answers are below:

1. All right, here are the rules.
2. We have to post these rules before
we give you the facts.
3. Players start with eight random facts/habits about
themselves.
4. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about
their eight things and post these rules.
5. At the end of your blog, you
need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
Don't forget
to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your
blog.

Fun Facts:

1. I used to be a professional cheerleader. I got recruited in university to be on the cheerleading squad. I thought, "I get to hang out with some of the hottest women in school and toss them around? I'm in." After two years, the National Basketball League (NBL) in Canada started up and a team in Halifax was born - the WindJammers. The owners wanted something cool, so they looked at the two cheerleading teams in the area and asked the best folks off both to be the pro team. I was fortunate enough to be captain of the men and to be courtside for two seasons. Good times.

2. I met my wife in Fukuoka, Japan. She's from Ontario and I'm from Nova Scotia, but in 1997 we were both teaching English for the same company but in different cities. We met at a teacher's meeting. We didn't actually get together to stay until 2002, but it's been grand ever since.

3. I have four tattoos. One is my wedding band.

4. When I was in cubs, I got my collector's badge for my closet full of Peanuts books. I can still name every damn character in that strip. Loved Charles M. "Sparky" Schultz.

5. My first pet was a dog named Chipper. She was a black lab.

6. I love the smell of Ivory soap because it reminds me of my grandmother's upstairs bathroom. From when I was little, every time I went into that bathroom, it smelled like Ivory soap and because of that, I have a fabulous association to it. I won't buy it for my home because I don't want to ruin the memory of that old, small, bathroom and my grandmother.

7. I love to cook. Just tonight I made pork chops with corn-on-the-cob, a nice chili-lime compound butter for a southwest feel to the corn, and a tomato salad with blue cheese. The Food Network is my friend.
Interesting side note that always makes me laugh: Mitch Hedberg used to say that corn on the cob is really the natural presentation of corn. That should be called "corn" and other versions should be called "corn off the cob". I mean, if you cut my arm off you wouldn't call that "Mitch", but then sew it back on me and call me "Mitch All Together".

8. I once rubbed the juice of a tiny tiny chili pepper directly in my fucking eyeballs. It was in Thailand and it was the most pain I have ever been in. Imagine if your eyelashes turned into steel, bent inwards, and stabbed into your iris. That was what it felt like for 15 minutes. In the northern Thai jungle. It sucked and sucked and then sucked harder than I thought possible. Then it sucked more.

I'm ok now. Thanks for asking.

5 Barbaric Yawps:

At 29/6/07 1:05 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Are you ok? Really? Want a hot compress or something?

I forgot you mentioned before that you were a professional cheerleader. My question is: how were the NBL games? Folding the whole league after 2 seasons isn't a good sign.

 
At 29/6/07 7:42 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

That is true. The games were pretty good, as far as I remember, but attendance sorta sucked balls. I think we (in Halifax) had one of the better gates and we only had about 2500 on average in a 10,000 seat arena.

...And yes, I could use that hot compress. Thanks.

 
At 29/6/07 8:38 am, Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

I once did the same thing with a Scotch Bonnet pepper. Was making jerked pork (get you mind out of the gutter) and got an itch in my eye. Having already partaken in a number of adult styled beverages I went right for the eye scratch.

Needless to say I almost jabbed the carving fork into my eye just to alleviate the pain.

 
At 29/6/07 9:50 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Oh yeah, if you've never done it, you can't even imagine the pain. Nice to see I'm not the only one. A scotch bonnet would suck a mountain-pile of ass. Glad you're alive.

 
At 29/6/07 10:45 am, Blogger tina said...

Ohhh, I love number 3! I know what you mean about the Ivory Soap...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home