The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

One Last Time for the True Dumbasses

Your:
1: of or relating to you or yourself or yourselves especially as possessor or possessors , agent or agents , or object or objects of an action
2: of or relating to one or oneself
3: used with little or no meaning almost as an equivalent to the definite article the

You're:
1: a contraction of you are.

So, to all you fuckheads who keep misusing these terms, endlessly making me roll my eyes in goddamn disgust (I even saw "Your watching the new hit show L.A. Ink on TLC" the other night on TV) and nearly abandoning all hope for humanity: unless you mean to say "you are" and subsequently use "you're", it's just "your". Got it?

13 Barbaric Yawps:

At 26/8/07 7:01 pm, Blogger Bruce said...

Don't get too worked up about this one Mike. The gradual dumbing down of the population all but guarantees that things like this will exist forever.

 
At 26/8/07 9:45 pm, Anonymous Bryn said...

Thank you! I've been accused of being a looney for having that as a pet peeve. I'm glad I'm not alone. Now, if you could also take care of the "they're/their/there" problem, I'd be really grateful.

 
At 26/8/07 9:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And while you're at it, how about "its" and "it's"?

 
At 26/8/07 10:02 pm, Blogger Paul said...

Ah, yes, but "ur" covers both, doesn't it? I mean, liek, OMFG, ROTFLMAO!!!!eleventy-one.

On the other hand, the rule concerning the possessive form of 'it' is just plain wrong. Every other word in the English language is made into the possessive form by adding an apostrophe and an 's', but for some reason the word 'it' is exempt? For 'it' you don't use the apostrophe, even though you do every other time? That's just fucking stupid.

 
At 26/8/07 10:58 pm, Blogger tina said...

People that comment in my local newspaper always type, noone, what the hell is that? It's "no one" dumb asses, I want to say. Mike,where's the fish?

 
At 27/8/07 11:32 am, Blogger Violette said...

Paul:

I just want to point out that "it" is not alone in not having an apostrophe. The other third person singular possessives in the English language don't have one either: his, hers.

Dumb grammar mistakes, especially when they're on something official, like a business sign or a tv channel (for shame TLC!!!), really piss me off too.

 
At 28/8/07 2:43 am, Blogger The Rev. Jenner J. Hull said...

Ooh... Every time I read "your" used for "you're," a small part of me dies inside.

If you ever hear of an English major snapping and gunning down a dozen or so people, automatically assume that some jackass on the Internets told him/her "You think your so smart, but your not as smart as you think you are!"

 
At 28/8/07 2:49 am, Blogger The Rev. Jenner J. Hull said...

Speaking of grammar and punctuation, Bob the Angry Flower has "A Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots."

 
At 28/8/07 11:06 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Yup, I saw "it's" instead of "its" on a commercial the other day. My wife thought I was crazy because I started cursing at the idiots who made the commercial (who were, of course, not in the room to hear my ranting, so it was kind of pointless).

 
At 28/8/07 5:58 pm, Anonymous Soitgoes said...

Can we add:
Here, here vs. hear, hear? How about allot vs. a lot?
The list goes on and on and really grates on my brain considering that I have never had a class in English grammar or vocabulary.

 
At 29/8/07 9:52 am, Anonymous Bryn said...

Another one infecting the Internet (and has crept into our local paper more than once): lose and loose. There's nothing quite so entertaining as having a long argument with a creationist and having them come back with "You loose!" My usual response is, "No, no, I'm not" which seems to confuse the hell out of them. Lack of reading comprehension and an inability to spell--not exactly a position of strength.

 
At 30/8/07 9:58 pm, Blogger Paul said...

My favourite comment to come up against is, "your stupid!!!1"

Then I get to respond, "my stupid? Then why are you using it?"

 
At 5/9/07 5:55 pm, Anonymous drimble wedge said...

Chiming in late but here goes.
- Something laughable is ridiculous, NOT rediculous.
- Someone good at keeping secrets is discreet, NOT discrete.
- A corridor is an aisle, NOT an isle.
- You set foot in a place, NOT step foot.

Ahhh, I feel much better now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home