The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Kathy Griffen = Good: John Tory = Bad

Kathy Griffin:

Because it was cool and everyone else is commenting on it, I have to say that Kathy Griffin at the Emmy's was great. "Suck it, Jesus." Come on, I don't care who you are, that's funny.

Ok, if you're Bill Donahue, maybe it wasn't funny. But just to present the other side of the argument, Donahue is a tremendous douche who doesn't think anything is funny if it's making fun of, satirizing, or insulting his particular religion. He actually called her comments a, "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

Well, no, Bill. Saying something like, "Catholics are shitty people who are all deluded and smell bad and we should put them on an island where they can interbreed and stink up the place" - that's hate speech, Bill. Insulting an imaginary man, not so much. I mean, if she had said, "No one had less to do with me winning this award than Snuffalupagus...Suck it, Snuffy!", no one would have batted a fucking eye. Once again, we have a situation where something is only taboo because so many people are convinced that the imaginary is real.

I watched My Life on the D-List a couple of times and enjoyed it. Not necessarily because Griffin is overly funny, it's just that it's interesting to see how a somewhat famous person goes about earning a living. I will add my voice to hers and say, loudly and in Bill Donahue's face - Suck it, Jesus.

John Tory:

I'm going to start a Jedi school.

See, it's not clear where his money for everybody idea stops with the faith-based schools thing. He seems to think that all of them deserve public (meaning tax-payer) money. It's all about, "...respecting unique aspects of their faith and culture," whatever the hell that means, and as if people can't do that without paying for it.

And what if I don't respect their faith? I mean, I respect the people, but I far from respect the idea that there's an invisible man in the sky. There is no respect in me for the idea that some dude in the Vatican has a hotline to the creator of the universe, and a tailor with a sense of humour. Does "no respect" equal "none of my money"?

The idea of separate schools for each faith does so much to further the stupid idea that faith actually means anything. There's no such thing as Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, or atheist children; these are philosophical ideas held by the parents and to socially segregate kids based on these meaningless and artificial lines is irresponsible at best.

It graphically illustrates the worst aspects of religions - introducing irrational ideas to mentally break friendships (or keep them from forming in the first place) and sow the seeds of difference instead of just letting kids be kids. Children don't give a shit who they play with or what color their skin is, they only care who can make the best sandcastle.

Governments must be secular (btw: "secular" means "non-religious", not "anti- religious...there's a difference) to be fair. How many people of faith would give their tax dollars to a school that actively promotes the idea of atheism? I suspect they'd lose their mofo minds as soon as they found out and would likely say that teaching children that there's, "no God, Heaven, Hell, eternal soul," was akin to child abuse and robbing them of the joys of life.

They'd be wrong, of course.

I opened this piece by saying I'd like to start a Jedi school, not entirely in jest. I am keen to know how far Mr. Tory's silly-putty hand reaches to dump money on a deserving lap. Funding all faith-based schools means all of them, not just the biggies. Is the PC party truly committed to this idea?

The Conservatives and particularly John Tory seem to be looking backwards, walking backwards, and cinching the political noose around their necks. This is a deal-breaker issue for me as a voter: I can't support a candidate who doesn't have basic critical thinking skills and Tory has shown recently that his ideas are not worthy of any respect whatsoever.

Anyone going to sign up for Using the Force: 101?

5 Barbaric Yawps:

At 13/9/07 1:36 pm, Blogger Seven Star Hand said...

Hello again Mike,

Another great article and analysis! Keep up the good works!!

Faith is the opposite of Truth, Wisdom, and Justice...

How can one defame a fantasy based on proven lies? On the other hand, priests are proven to have raped thousands upon thousands of children, while demanding faith and loyalty from deceived followers. Also, let us never forget the Inquisition, Crusades, the genocides in every Christian conquered land, etc., etc.! These are proven facts, not so-called "defamations."

What is more important, truth or faith? Would the creator of all knowledge and wisdom insist that you remain ignorant by simply believing what you have been told by obviously duplicitous religious founders and leaders?

It boggles the mind how often holier-than-thou Christian leaders are involved in sick and deceptive behavior. Just look at the history and current events of the Vatican and Papacy. Do you need any more proof of why such blatantly duplicitous scoundrels value faith over truth and justice? See the redundant patterns shouting out for recognition?

Jesus Christ is a proven Roman deception, pure and simple!!

Now sue me Bill Donahue and ilk!!!

Here is Wisdom !!

 
At 13/9/07 5:10 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

I'm pretty annoyed at the Tory school funding platform, too. But you know what's surprising? My wife thinks it's a bad idea as well - even though she's Christian, she's a big proponent of good public schooling. She had a hard time in grade 13 because the teacher's strike wiped-out her calculus course - and, as you can imagine, a lack of introductory calculus would screw you big time in 1st year engineering. If public funds were diverted to seperate school boards, I can imagine even more teachers strikes in the future.

Anyway, I'd sign up for a Jedi school, though instead of using a force choke I'd use a force kick in the nuts.

 
At 13/9/07 5:54 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

King, I'd expect nothing less than a Force kick-in-the-nuts. I'd actually pay money to see Obi-Wan use that shit on Darth. See if that black codpiece is worth its salt.

 
At 14/9/07 5:00 pm, Anonymous Melissa G said...

I believe I can use the Force!!! Is John Tory gonna tell me I can't? He's disrespecting my beliefs, man!!! Now gimme some money.

 
At 16/9/07 4:31 pm, Anonymous Pax said...

While I'm not a 'fan' of Kathy's I respect what she does enough to wonder if she already had the hours of material she'll use to discuss this 'event' or if she's writing it as we speak. That the powers that be scurried to do the bidding of the blessed faithful who were offended at the speed of light just furthers my suspicions that the US is teetering on the brink of going mid-evil on itself...a theocracy unseen since the early 'good old days' of the Inquisition. Oh goody...sigh...just shoot me. Hard to believe these wankers don't know that by their behaviour they've given her a thousand times more publicity than the comment would have garnered otherwise and made damned sure millions more knew about it that ever would have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home