The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Matt Hughes and the Damn Bible

I watched The Ultimate Fighter 6 tonight which saw the second episode even up the victories at one-a-piece for Matt Serra's team and Matt Hughes' team. That was a bit of a sideline for me because there was this interesting section of a "training" session with Hughes' team where he asked them to read the damn bible. Specifically the book of Esther. He then asked the fighters to tell him who in that story he'd (Hughes) be.

Now the ranks of MMA fighters in the UFC are full of smart dudes: former middleweight champ Rich Franklin holds a master’s degree in Education and a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics from the University of Cincinnati; heavyweight fighter Jeff Monson has a Master's Degree in psychology; welterweight fighter (and fellow Canadian) Carlos Newton studied linguistics and is pursuing a medical degree; and former light heavyweight champ Chuck Liddell has a degree in accounting to name but a few (this info comes from this great article that smacks down a bitchy boxing writer who is painfully ignorant of MMA and gets all uppity).

That being said, I had a hard time figuring out why Hughes would get his fighters to read the stupid bible. He's a weirdo Christian, for sure, but that was over the top in my opinion. And Esther? Seriously? Chapter one of that book is the "man rules the house and if you don't like it, you get the hell out" part of the Christian dogma. Nice, eh? Yeah, yeah, it's the bad King that says it, but if everyone else can quote out-of-context, then so can I.

Esther has at least thirteen men hanged (two, plus Haman and his 10 sons) in that book. Not to mention that the Jews in this story kill 75,300 people. It's a feel-good family tale, particularly the part where Esther wins a sex contest with the King to take Queen Vashti's place (chap. 2:8-9, 12-17). Awesome role models for little girls.

I found it amusing that when Serra found out about the little "bible study", he said that Hughes was trying to "turn them all into Christians" and asked his fellas if there were any Jewish guys who'd be offended. One fighter spoke up and said that, "As an atheist, (he'd) be offended". Good on him. I also liked that Mac Danzig, a fighter on Hughes' team, opted not to read and instead took a nap. He rightly said that he was there to train and fight, not "connect with himself spiritually". He seems like a good guy.

I guess if you want to use the damn bible to justify violence (or at least controlled violence and fighting like the UFC has), you could certainly use the "good book" to do so. You could use the Koran as well. I know that Muslims like to say that Islam is a religion of peace, but that's like saying Friday the 13th is a love story because some teenagers have sex.

Anyway, my meandering and somewhat ill-thought-out point is that Matt Hughes had no reason to make his fighters read the stupid bible other than to force his stupid religion on a captive audience...stupidly. I really really really hope he loses to Matt Serra when they fight.

9 Barbaric Yawps:

At 27/9/07 9:18 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

One guy took a nap? Wow, he's my new hero! I take naps, too, and highly recommend them.

Maybe Hughes is trying to make his guys mad. If someone made me read the bible when I was supposed to be training for a fight, I'd be pissed.

 
At 27/9/07 10:38 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Man, do I ever wish that was the reason. As another fan of the nap, that's certainly what I'd have been doing...well, that or working on the heavy bag.

 
At 27/9/07 11:44 am, Blogger ordinarygirl said...

I was yelling at the TV during that part. When he said his little speech to the camera comparing himself to Esther I wanted to retch.

Matt Hughes is definitely an ass, but that has been shown before this latest episode. But Matt Serra irks me too so all I hope for now is a good fight with no favorite to win.

 
At 27/9/07 11:45 am, Blogger ordinarygirl said...

Oh yeah, and Joey needs to go home and never fight in the UFC again. What a baby!

 
At 27/9/07 1:13 pm, Blogger StefRobrts said...

Ok, now I'm curious to watch one of these fights just so I can (hopefully) see that guy get his ass handed to him!

 
At 27/9/07 2:48 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Serra is sometimes annoying with the New York tough guy thing, but he's WAY more tolerable (to me, anyway) than Hughes' country-boy religious bullshit. I mean, "I'd work at a nursing home"? What the fuck was that about?

Agreed, Joey needs to go home, buy a dress, and start acting like the pansy he is.

 
At 2/10/07 12:35 pm, Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

Oh damn it. I've missed the last couple (how many now are there ) in this season. Hughes is a world class putz. A good friend of mine who was a college wrestler and his brother who is a world class college wrestler who was a NCAA national champ in the mid 90's both say that Hughes is a gigantic bitch. I've always hated him and it just grew with his constant Jesus thanking and God on his side bullshit. This just goes over the top.

 
At 5/10/07 11:57 pm, Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

Oh, you should put Diego Sanchez in here too. He's a real god caller as well.

 
At 6/10/07 3:07 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Yeah, Sanchez is a weirdy freak of nature. He's a good fighter, but damn...that freaky shit has to head out the door.

I'm glad he lost to Koscheck (even though he's a douchenozzle as well) and Fitch. I like watching Jon Fitch fight - I hope he goes far in welterweight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home