The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, September 17, 2007

A Poll, If You Would


Oh You Heathenous Atheists!
What's the most annoying thing that you get asked/told as an atheist/agnostic/non-believer?
What's it like to not believe in anything?
Your life must feel so meaningless.
Why do you hate God?
You believe, you just don't know it yet.
Other








If you chose "other", please leave a comment as to what your most common/annoying received saying is. Inquiring minds and all that. Thanks!

Hat tip to Paul for the link. Thanks, buddy!

18 Barbaric Yawps:

At 18/9/07 12:07 am, Blogger Paul said...

other: "without God to tell you what to do, how do you know what is right and moral?"

OOh, I hate that.

 
At 18/9/07 4:43 am, Blogger Wanderin' Weeta said...

Other;

"The children are praying for you."

 
At 18/9/07 7:02 am, Blogger 01 said...

Yeah, I get the "godless morality" thing too. Which surprises me really.

I think it's blatantly obvious that the concepts of God and morality are entirely separate. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

 
At 18/9/07 9:24 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

I voted for "your life must be meaningless" mainly because it's the only one I've gotten that actually annoys me. The first one ("what's it like to not believe") I actually don't mind. The other two I've never got.

One other one that pisses me off is that, after I spend 45 minutes making dinner, using food that I bought in the grocery store with money I earned from my hard work, the first thing my wife does is thank God for it.

 
At 18/9/07 12:01 pm, Blogger Hans Derycke said...

I chose "you believe..." because it overlaps with the really annoying "atheism is your religion."

 
At 18/9/07 12:10 pm, Blogger Karen said...

I went with "other" because there wasn't an option for, "By being an atheist, you're *believing*/having *faith* in there not being a god, so it's really the same thing as having a religion."

Basically what Hans Derycke said.

 
At 18/9/07 12:12 pm, Blogger Severian said...

I get "Its harder to disbelieve" quite a lot

 
At 18/9/07 3:45 pm, Anonymous Yojimbo said...

The "why do you hate God" one is the most annoying to me because it is so mind-numbingly moronic. Yo, doofus! You weren't listening. I said I DON'T believe.

 
At 18/9/07 4:06 pm, Blogger pussreboots said...

Or: "I feel so sorry for your children"

 
At 18/9/07 4:13 pm, Blogger tina said...

Other> You just need to go to church!

 
At 18/9/07 4:57 pm, Anonymous Soitgoes said...

Other since All Of The Above wasn't listed and they all piss me off equally!

 
At 18/9/07 5:10 pm, Blogger ordinarygirl said...

I chose, "Your life must feel so meaningless." because I hate when people ask me how I can find meaning in my life without religion or ask me what it's like to be a nihilist.

It's like when people equate skepticism to cynicism. They're not the same.

 
At 18/9/07 5:33 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Man, there's so many stupid phrases, eh? No wonder I've been writing and bitching for so long.

 
At 18/9/07 6:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had someone, upon hearing about my atheism, ask me "But you still believe in Jesus, right?" with an utterly sincere expression on her face.

That didn't piss me off.

When I explained that no, I don't believe in Jesus either, and explained my scientific skepticism, she went on to tell me about how Mormonism is completely scientific.

THAT pissed me off.

 
At 18/9/07 6:52 pm, Blogger Bruce said...

My mother pulls out the old "you really believe you just don't know it" crap every once in a while and it really pisses me off. Basically, it's like telling me that I don't know my own mind. I can handle the rest of them because they are easy to logically refute. But to be told that I don't know what I think really pisses me off.

 
At 18/9/07 8:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's an easy reply to that one. Just tell the person "You really don't believe at all. You are just too insecure to admit it. You'll figure it out eventually".

Watch how defensive they get. It's often funny. My rule is that if someone feels free to be that patronising with me, I can do the same.

 
At 19/9/07 9:09 am, Blogger IsThatLatin said...

Other: Nothing...just silence, accompanied with either a confused or disgusted look.

That's my favorite.

 
At 19/9/07 1:28 pm, Anonymous Teen Atheist said...

My own dad: "At least we Catholics practice virtue." Like I'm suddenly evil because I stopped believing the bullshit I've been fed since kindergarten.

I swear, the people from my country can be such idiots.

(BTW, hi. I saw your link through my Wordpress stats.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home