The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sherri Shepherd is a Retard

Most of you would, at this point, be asking "Who the hell is Sherri Shepherd?" Those of you posing that particular question are now 12 times cooler in my books.

She is the new hostess of The View and in this unbelieveable clip she says that she has never thought about whether or not the fucking Earth is flat or round and doesn't know the answer. She might look it up if/when her son asks her. This was stated after she flatly said that she, "...didn't believe in evolution, period," thus outing her as a complete and total box of carrot peelings with respect to intelligence.

How the fuck do people like this get on television to give their opinions on anything? How are people like this allowed to vote? She must have someone come to her house and dress her every morning - I mean, you can't be that out of touch with reality and still be socially functional.

She doesn't believe in evolution. I'd like her to explain what she thinks evolution actually is first; that'd be worth a chuckle. Fuck me...I bet there's a picture of her brain on a goddamn milk carton somewhere. Oh, and just to show what sort of mentality we're dealing with, here's a paragraph from her site that's completely contratictory
Your Prayers Worked!!!

I just want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of my fans who tirelessly emailed and wrote Barbara Walters, Bill Geddie and the ABC executives on my behalf. To think that you all took time out of your busy lives, leaves me speechless.

To those of you who prayed... let me tell you ... PRAYERS WORK! Because it is a miracle of God that I am now a co-host on The View.
Yeah, it was God. Not the 7000 emails and calls from your fans. God did it. And God made zebras, too. And artichokes and llamas and jellybeans. It's all God.

Holy testicle pete, religious people get on my nerves.

(ed. update: Thanks to PZ for the link love)
(ed.update #2: Yes, thanks also to Phil. He is far from chopped liver...more of a delicious steak. With mushrooms. Perhaps even a nice chianti *insert creepy Hannibal Lecter sucky noise*)

26 Barbaric Yawps:

At 19/9/07 3:35 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Sweet jeebuz, I think my brain just slipped out of my ear.

 
At 19/9/07 4:07 AM, Blogger IAm said...

I thought the clip was bad enough, until I checked out the message boards on her site... One of the people there was defending the "fact" that Sherri is "still en_title_d to an opinion" (sic), and finished up with this gem:
"I think she knows what has been proven by science but their is no law which states that you have to believe something just because it's been proven and documented"...

 
At 19/9/07 8:33 AM, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Think of these people the next time you have to argue with a creationist - treat them like you'd treat a five year old. It just may be a winning strategy.

 
At 19/9/07 11:03 AM, Anonymous HPLC_Sean said...

Everyone should just chuck their TV and rejoin reality! No one gets smarter by watching TV. You just get stupider and easier to brainwash.

 
At 19/9/07 12:01 PM, Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

I heard the clip on Howard stern this morning and I think my right temple sprung a leak. The pain was almost too much hearing stupidity distilled and concentrated to such a thick sickly stickyness.

 
At 19/9/07 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a View?

 
At 19/9/07 12:59 PM, Blogger StefRobrts said...

I think it's a viral marketing campaign. Nobody could be that out of touch with the world around them.

 
At 19/9/07 1:07 PM, Blogger Philip said...

Thanks to PZ??? What am I, chopped liver?

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/09/18/how-ignorant-can-you-be-and-still-get-on-tv/

 
At 19/9/07 1:16 PM, Blogger John D Giotta said...

She's a fucking terrible liar. Honestly, for this to be true it would mean she never went to fucking grade school or seen a damn globe.

Less not forget her benign excuse about raising her son; I bet she so busy with her son she barely makes it the set every day (my ass).

 
At 19/9/07 2:01 PM, Anonymous Brain Hertz said...

Forgive my ignorance, but what's "The View"? Should I care?

 
At 19/9/07 2:42 PM, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Sorry, Phil. Consider me a loser and the oversight is corrected, my friend. Mmmm...steak....

Brain - The View is, in no way, worth caring about. At all.

 
At 19/9/07 3:01 PM, Anonymous MLH said...

Yup, Sherri Shepherd's dumb as a bag of hammers - so what? Let's face it, the people that watch the View aren't doing so because they want some sort of nuanced insight into scientific issues. They're people like her, except less famous.

You certainly aren't required to watch the View, and I was blissfully unaware of its existence until it became impossible to ignore the fact the Rosie O'Donnell was fueding with everyone in the United States. the View is, in short, a petty nuisance - relentlessly stupid, intended for consumption by stupid people, and completely avoidable by everyone else.

 
At 19/9/07 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying Shepherd is as dumb as a bag of hammers is an insult to bags and hammers.

So much for telling my kids you need to be smart and talented to make it in the world.

 
At 19/9/07 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to understand this dense mentality, and found this on her Wikipedia page:

"Raised a Jehovah's Witness, Shepherd later became a born-again Christian after moving to Los Angeles."

And according to the same page, her explanation for not knowing that Earth is round is that "in the previous broadcast she had been too nervous, confused and stupid to answer the question adequately."

Ah, the Miss Teen South Carolina defense, plus she did admit to being stupid, so she is slightly redeemed.

 
At 19/9/07 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Retard?" How classy of you. Good thing she's not an ethnic minority; I can only imagine what terms you might use to characterize her.

Assuming that your question about how "people like this allowed to vote" is rhetorical, but it does raise an important issue. Voter literacy tests have been tried before in the USA, as vehicles for blatant disenfranchisement of black people. For this reason we're unlikely to see them ever resurface.

Given that there are a lot of ignorant people, and many of them do vote, the practical solution is outreach and education; not name-calling. Shepherd may be beyond hope, but there are many others in our society who would benefit from outreach and uplift. Granted, that's harder than hanging out on the web and making snarky comments.

 
At 19/9/07 6:09 PM, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Well how the fuck did I know that this issue would rear its ugly head? Thanks, "anonymous" (if that is your real name) for lowering the bar yet again.

I name call. Yep, I called her a retard:
1 /ri-'tärd/ : a holding back or slowing down : RETARDATION
2 /'rE-"tärd/ often offensive : a retarded person; also : a person held to resemble a retarded person in behavior

From www.miriamwebster.com

Shepherd is intellectually slowed or held back. That was proven to my satisfaction watching that video clip. If you don't like the fact that I'm quick with a put-down, don't read my fucking site. No one asked you to.

Then you dropped this bit of non-sequitor:
"Voter literacy tests have been tried before in the USA, as vehicles for blatant disenfranchisement of black people..."

Well who the hell brought up race? You, douchebag. I was referring to her stupidity alone with respect to my incredulity at her ability to affect the outcome of a democratic vote.

Outreach and education for those who seem to lack the necessary facilities - I agree, but you said yourself that, "Shepherd may be beyond hope..." So with that in mind, I'm going to make fun of her and call her names. Is that ok? Can I be an infantile little pooper now, please?

Whiny fucking loser. Go peddle your high-minded self-rightousness somewhere else.

 
At 19/9/07 6:20 PM, Blogger StefRobrts said...

Clearly I'm a racist because when I first heard this story, I pictured some little bubble-headed blonde. I would like to now apologize to all blondes. Apparently stupidity is equal-opportunity.

 
At 19/9/07 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BHM:

"Well how the fuck did I know that this issue would rear its ugly head?"

Perhaps because after posting this, you realized that your words were unfortunately chosen?

"If you don't like the fact that I'm quick with a put-down, don't read my fucking site. No one asked you to."

If you don't like getting called on what you write, restrict comments.

The literacy test was not a non-sequitur. I raised this point to directly counter your perhaps-rhetorical question about why people like Shepherd are allowed to vote.

The point I was making was that restrictions on voting based on things like literacy can't be used in USA because of their history here. That was not to imply that you're a racist.

"Go peddle your high-minded self-rightousness somewhere else."

Pot...kettle...black.

 
At 19/9/07 8:02 PM, Anonymous gerald spezio said...

Mike, nobody loves science, Darwin, and Dawkins more than I do.
But I also think that it is too easy to whack away at bumbling Ms Shepherd.
I commented briefly at Sandwalk.
Please consider trying it.

 
At 19/9/07 8:18 PM, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Let's see..."words unfortunately chosen..." Nope. Meant every one. Somehow people just dive right over to the race thing without realizing that I was addressing her lack of intelligence. It's boring and predictable, which is why I made the opening comment.

Getting "called on what I write" is fine, happens regularly and I admit when I'm wrong or even unfair. You jumped to assuming I'd use a racial slur ("Good thing she's not an ethnic minority; I can only imagine what terms you might use to characterize her.") and implied that my comments about her voting were related to her being black ("assuming your question...is rhetorical" and "...perhaps rhetorical question..."). You can take that attitude somewhere else unless YOU don't like getting called on what YOU write.

Reaching out to help people who haven't been able to get the education some of us were fortunate enough to acquire is key, but when the ignorance is willful and stunningly enormous, I'm making fun of that person - and I'd do it to her face, not just "hanging out on the web", but sadly I haven't the means at this time. If that's "high-minded", so be it, but coming to this site, where it's obvious at a casual scan that I'm on the brutal side with the insults and ad-hominems, and getting uppity with my attitude is pointless.

If you don't like it, thanks for showing up and voicing your opinion - duly noted. There's the door.

 
At 19/9/07 8:22 PM, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Gerald:
I agree that it's almost too easy. I do. I'm not going to harp on the issue - one post. That's it. From the large response, most in support of giving her a verbal thwacking, I'm guessing that a lot of folks enjoy it.

Is it easier to do this? Certainly. It's harder to be the nice person and take the high road and "reach out".

The problem with that is that I try on my site - obviously not very effectively - to try to be funny on occasion. The approach you advocate (and the one I try to do 99% of the time in my actual life) is just not funny, man.

I read your posts on Sandwalk earlier today and in principle I agree, as I said. Thanks for reading.

 
At 19/9/07 11:19 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

Sawatdee kap from the Land of Smiles.

Just dropped by for a visit and immediately decided to make regular stops. So amused at your honest appraisal of Mz. Shepard that I took the liberty of mentioning your blog in todays 'Jing-reed's Musings from Thailand'.

Love your horns!

 
At 19/9/07 11:44 PM, Anonymous Brad said...

"Retards" might well know that the Earth is round, and regardless, it is a cruel thing to call them. Why don't we just take it out of the nomenclature? Let's just call her stupid, instead--which is a far more precise (empirical, even!) term.

 
At 20/9/07 8:16 AM, Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

Yup, Sherri Shepherd's dumb as a bag of hammers - so what? Let's face it, the people that watch the View aren't doing so because they want some sort of nuanced insight into scientific issues. They're people like her, except less famous

Calling stupid stupid is a worthy cause no matter where it is. And especially when it is someone that will more then likely be peddling this nonsense in front of millions of eager to agree people.

 
At 20/9/07 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ignorance is ignorace, regardless of race, creed, color, religion, and favorite ice cream flavor.

Anyone here trying to play the PC race card can go hang themselves.

Mike is just calling a spade a spade. OOPS.

 
At 20/9/07 11:22 AM, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

See, that's why anonymous comments suck and people are losers. Congratulations, douchebag, you're the biggest asshole I've come across.

 

<< Home