The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Left Brain, Right Brain - R.I.P.

I learned from Orac today that the autism blog and hub for fighting the crazy anti-vaccination crowd that has been going for five years or so, Left Brain Right Brain, has shut down.

Why, Mike? Well, not because of time or money or any rational reason. It's because some dolt named John Best, who posts under the pseudonym "Fore Sam", was posting on his site as Kevin's seven year-old daughter as well as attacking her personally. Nice, eh? He whines that he's only retaliating and that his pathetic attempts at debate are sound, but if that's so, why take down your posts?

On this blog I certainly throw a lot of name-calling at people I believe to be deserving, but I like to think that my arguments are solid. If not, I like it when my readers (yes, all six of you) point it out to me. I would not, however, attack or name-call someone unable to defend themselves, particularly not a child. Obviously there have been impolite words on both sides of this argument between the science-based normal people and the crazy anti-vaccination crowd - headed by this bozo, but if you go read Best's site, you can see for yourself that he only has name calling, no substance.

There have been many people I've talked to in my job and life about vaccinations, some of whom have had to be guided back to reality after buying into the garbage that anti-vac people spew. It's sad that a great site and resource is (temporarily, I hope) shut down.

Oh, and John Best is a douchebag. Ahhh...that felt nice.

11 Barbaric Yawps:

At 15/10/07 1:58 pm, Blogger Jim Wright said...

Now now, Mike, no need insult douchebags - they serve a useful purpose, unlike John Best.

 
At 15/10/07 1:59 pm, Blogger isles said...

You got that right.

Maybe we could get Dan Savage to make up a new name for him, a la "santorum." The word "johnbest" sounds like a verb to me. What could it mean to johnbest someone or something? To comprehensively screw it up? To splatter it with toilet overflow? To throw a tantrum?

 
At 15/10/07 3:39 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

That'd be fantastic, eh? The whole "santorum" thing was the best so perhaps, along the same lines, we should hold a contest on what "johnbest" should refer to. Feel free to suggest below.

 
At 15/10/07 6:30 pm, Blogger Bronze Dog said...

I've had a suggestion that we make a few names into new swear words.

 
At 15/10/07 6:37 pm, Blogger Jim Wright said...

johnbest: (v) the despicable act of using discredited pseudo-science as an excuse to act like an asshole online, and probably in real life as well. (n) the crusty brown residue left in the asscracks of people who don't know how to wipe.

 
At 15/10/07 8:39 pm, Blogger isles said...

Another thought: the little bit of vomit that rises in your throat when you are suddenly nauseated but don't quite get to the point of throwing up?

 
At 15/10/07 9:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as an autistic adult, i find the idea of turning johnbest into a pejorative verb to be a beautiful one. However, I lack the vocabulary required to come up with a definition that is insulting enough. Sigh.

 
At 15/10/07 9:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though perhaps this one is a step in the right direction:

johnbest - one who beats a baby up in order to prove how tough he is.

 
At 16/10/07 1:26 pm, Blogger isles said...

Perhaps, since the thug's homies have such a consuming interest in feces smearing, "johnbest" could refer to that practice.

 
At 17/10/07 9:49 pm, Blogger tina said...

I thought "Douchebag" was pretty nice compared to what you could have said and do. lol!

 
At 20/10/07 12:39 pm, Blogger Gordon said...

"I like it when my readers (yes, all six of you)..."

SEVEN!

Mike,you obviously forgot to include you ol' buddy from Thailand. This has become one of my favourite places to hang out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home