The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Psychic Relationship Advice - Dial 1-900-Hiding In Closet

This is too good. A "psychic" from Toronto who conned a woman from Seattle out of $220,000 was caught in Calgary hiding under some blankets in a closet.

Ok, when I'm confronted with claims I feel are bogus, I don't just call bullshit and head for the beer shelf. I usually (especially if I'm trying to explain methodology to a newish skeptic person) say to myself: "Ok, let's assume that this is true - what else would logically have to be true as well?" So there's this "psychic" who reads palms, gives advice, sees the future; she is on the run from police. The cops are hot on her trail. Does she:

a) use her psychic powers to see where the cops are and how they'll approach?

b) influence the "universe" by putting her desires out there to be realized?

c) go downstairs and sit at the kitchen table with a delicious Hot Pocket and a pistol to await her bullet-ridden showdown with Johnny Lawdog? or

d) realize that her "powers" are non-existant and hide in the closet under some blankets?

Now, if she actually had psychic powers, I'd roll with either a or b, but since nothing of the sort has ever been shown to be real, we can safely say c or d (and as we all now know, d is the correct answer that wins the fabulous parting gifts).

I hope the chick from Seattle gets $200,000 back. The $20,000 they should keep as a stupidity fee donated to a local school district's science department. Anyone who pays someone that amount of cash with no guarantee of any type of result whatsoever needs some sort of punishment. The fraudulent douchenozzle who stole the money should be in jail for a long time - I mean, isn't that the same thing as taking that amount from a bank? If bank robbers stole almost a quarter of a million dollars, they'd be in jail for sure, right?

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. It happens a lot.

6 Barbaric Yawps:

At 7/10/07 2:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why were police chasing this woman and not say, Sylvia Brown, who does THE EXACT SAME THING?

 
At 7/10/07 4:35 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Yeah, well, there's that. I only wish some of the poor saps she's bilked over the years launched a class-action lawsuit. It would be *amazing* to see her lose millions of her cash (and by "her cash", I mean the money she's stolen over the years) to court-ordered payouts and legal bills.

And hey, thanks for reading!

 
At 7/10/07 5:00 pm, Anonymous Soitgoes said...

I think the reason so few people that get duped do anything about it is they're too worried about the embarrassment involved.

 
At 8/10/07 7:26 pm, Blogger Paul said...

She should have set herself up as a religion and claim that the $220 grand was a tithe.

 
At 9/10/07 10:48 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Hmm. It might be a magnitude thing. This woman bilked $220000 in one go, rather than $50 here and there from many people over a stretch of time. Still, Sylvia Brown et al are frauds too.

Damnit, I want $220000 for making shit up.

 
At 9/10/07 6:41 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

If I were going to try to get a quarter of a million dollars for nothing, I'd certainly think of starting a religion. Hell, it worked for L. Ron.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home