The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Randy Couture Leaves the UFC

Wow, that was unexpected. While in South Africa filming the next Scorpion King movie, Randy "The Natural" Couture (aka Captain America) has announced via a letter to Dana White that he is leaving the UFC. So sayeth the Fight Network, so it is.

Couture leaves two fights unfulfilled on his contract and he walks away from his commentary position. If he's doing major motion pictures, however, I'm sure he won't be missing the money. Plus, getting paid mucho dinaros for not getting punched in the face must be a nice change of pace.

There is a lot of hand-wringing on the 'net now about how this is the "beginning of the end for the UFC". I don't see it. Certainly Couture was the faceplate of the company and the best known name in MMA, but his leaving opens up a fairly competitive division. It would be good to see Brandon Vera get in there and start taking over. With Sylvia (who I'm not a fan of), Arlovski, not-so-much Cro-Cop anymore, Cheick Kongo and a couple more, it could be a good pound-out to see who comes out on top. Plus, the heavyweights aren't even the best division by far with respect to depth - let's talk welterweights. That's a great bunch of fellas. Or even lightweight, for crying out loud.

Granted, it's cool to have a dominant big man at the top of the pile to point to as the PPV draw. I mean, when boxing was huge, who could tell you the name of the welterweight champ? Not too many people. But just about any casual sports fan would know Tyson, Holyfield, or Lennox Lewis.

In the end, Couture had a fabulous run in the Ultimate Fighting Championship and hopefully he can have another career in the film world. I doubt he'll be the photographer in the sequel to The Bridges of Madison County anytime soon, but he can be next in the string of action heros for a year or two and pump out fifteen movies. Strike while the iron is hot, Randy. Good luck to you and we'll miss your g'n'p.

2 Barbaric Yawps:

At 12/10/07 9:41 am, Blogger ordinarygirl said...

Wow. But I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Vera and some fights against some other heavyweights. I'm tempted to order the fight next weekend, but every time we order a fight it just isn't that good.

But I'm not superstitious and this looks like a good line up. I'm hoping Franklin has learned how to avoid Silva's holds and knees so that it's a competitive fight.

 
At 12/10/07 10:55 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

I think Franklin will lose again, but only because it's Silva. Rich certainly has a chance as he's in phenomenal shape and is a great middleweight, but I just don't see Anderson having any glaring weaknesses in his game.

His stand-up is ridiculous as we've seen before, his ground game is wicked good (Lutter is a BJJ black belt and Silva beat him on the mat), and his conditioning has never been an issue before.

I also think the home crowd "advantage" might backfire with the amount of pressure Rich will put on himself. He might have let Anderson into his head leading him to overtrain and lose any physical edge he might otherwise have.

That said, I'm a crappy person to listen to as I've been wrong WAY more than I've been right in my fight predictions this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home