The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

What The Fuck Do We Know?

Right off the bat, I want to say that I don't like to mince words. Those of you who read my blog regularly will be quite familiar with that fact. In that vein, I decided to just put the title of this "movie" in the grown up language we all know in place of the babyish title of What the Bleep Do We Know. Let's get a life, shall we?

Ok, I know, I know, Skeptico took this apart already in an extremely prejudicial manner (if I may borrow and adapt a phrase from Apocalypse Now. I just watched the film the other day, however, and thought I had to write something because it was two hours of my life that I'll never ever get back and that deserves some sort of output.

Obviously the main points are covered in Skeptico's post along with this great review (where one of the highlight reel lines is:"... many of the movie’s themes, including the old 'what is reality?' question, go handled far better in the 'Matrix' movies - and when Keanu’s doing a better job explaining the nature of sensory input than you are, you’re in big trouble, my friend.") and this fantastic review and article by Salon. I don't have too much to add.

I did want to just throw in that I really enjoy DVD extras. In watching the Question & Answer sessions with the filmmakers, one of the male directors said (admits?) about twenty minutes in that the word "quantum" basically means "sudden transformational change". Yep, they just borrowed the word from science and gave it a new meaning so they could sound sciency without actually being sciency. Reminded me of Richard Dawkins' chat with Deepak Chopra where the latter admits that his definition of "quantum" is not the scientific one either, hence his bullshit. The problem is that neither Chumpra or the What the Fuck people bother to illuminate this fact to their followers. It's all science to them.

The female director was answering a question and said that she knows that if you put something here (tapped her forehead with her index finger) and hold it, it will happen. She then mentioned something about just getting people to ponder the effects or problems in this "movie" will effect the "quantum foam". Yes, quantum foam.

You can check out the science definition and explanation if you like, but somehow, I think this chick thinks the universe answers prayers and wishes because some wonderful creator is holding the galactic bottle of Reddi-Whip full of other parallel universes all set to pop into reality if/when you just accept the wisdom of the 35,000 year old Atlantean warrior, Ramtha.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some brain-teasers to do so I don't start to develop a clot in my...what's that word? Brain. Right. Dammit.

7 Barbaric Yawps:

At 15/10/07 12:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with the woo crowd redefining scientific terms as they see fit.

For instance, Uri Geller is a "fuckwit". Which I define for legal purposes as "an upstanding citizen of fine moral character and perfect veracity"

Ramtha (more germane to the discussion) is "interesting" - by which I mean "fraudulent; bullshit"

See, this game can be a lot of fun.

 
At 15/10/07 4:04 am, Blogger 01 said...

My girlfriend is a Certified Reiki Practitioner (whatever that means) and even she thought "What the Bleep" was a load of crap.

 
At 15/10/07 9:49 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

"fuckwit"..hahaha

01 - Do you let your girlfriend practice Reiki on you? I had a friend who did it on me once and I had to stop it because it was just laying there to me.

 
At 15/10/07 1:39 pm, Blogger 01 said...

Yeah I do... I need any excuse I can get for a nice nap.

 
At 15/10/07 3:40 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Fair enough. Me likey the sleeps as well.

 
At 17/10/07 7:53 pm, Blogger Sara said...

I think Quantum Foam would be a great name for a band.

 
At 17/10/07 8:54 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

I think I may have to start a band just I can call it Quantum Foam. Dibs on the lead singer gig.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home