The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Long Time Gone

Well well well, it's been a while, hasn't it? Yes it certainly has. I've been a very slack man with my writing and I have been quite unmotivated of late. Apologies all around for that. Sadly, not much has piqued my interest even when I read a story that just fucking cries out for a thrashing.

Like the recent tidbit on the Indian girl born with eight limbs who was thought by some to be the reincarnation of Vishnu. Nevermind that Vishnu is usually depicted with six limbs (yeah yeah, there can be more). I guess being a reincarnated god comes complete with the operation to take off the parasitic twin i.e. your "enchanted" extra legs and arms.

What about Cris Angel almost getting into a fistfight on the new and queer show Phenomenon? I have to say, it looked staged, but kudos to Angel for calling out both the overly-dramatic contestant and Uri Gellar - who I'm always surprised is not assumed to be a douchebag at every turn of his life. 'Cause he is, you know. A douchebag.

There's Colbert's failed presidential campaign, Musharraf and the "emergency state" in Pakistan, and the new Beyond Belief conference that just finished. Really, there's no excuse for my not writing more...except for my being busy at work, wanting to spend the nights playing with my daughter, and my interest in playing guitar picking up steam all the time. There's that.

I've been toying with the idea of podcasting. Might pick up a microphone over Christmas and in the meantime, put together a format for a weekly sound-type thingy that people could either get from this site OR download from iTunes if/when I get tech-savvy enough to be incorporated into the Borg Collective. I think it'd be fun to just do a weekly recap with rants and bitching and the obligatory happy, pro-science, pro-skeptic thoughts. I know it'd be big undertaking and competing with the larger shows like Skeptoid, Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, Point of Inquiry, and blah blah blah would be difficult, but with a solid concept and regular segments it could fly.

So there. Posting may be light over the next little while and I apologize to my seven regular readers for that. Please peruse and enjoy my archives whilst I try to put together something palatable for the future of this site.

Me!

2 Barbaric Yawps:

At 7/11/07 1:26 pm, Blogger Paul said...

Hey Mike. I know just what you mean about losing inspiration and being busy. I love the podcast idea. I have often toyed with it as well. Here's my take on it: keep it short. I don't listen to a lot of podcasts because, quite frankly, I don't want to spend ten to fifteen minutes of my limited available computer time listening to one thing. Sure, I guess if I had an iPod, I could listen on the way to work in the mprning or something, but I've never been into portable audio that way. Besides, I'd rather listen to Maureen Holloway (no offense). So, keep it under five minutes - even that might be too long. If I were going to do it, it would be like an audio version of a blog entry. Longer than two minutes, and I'd expect my reader (listener) to get bored and move on.

 
At 8/11/07 2:34 pm, Anonymous whiskyjack said...

I guess I'm one of the elect 7 readers, but have always been in lurker mode. Just wanted to give you some encouragement to keep up the good work. Personally, I prefer the written word, mostly so I can surf at work rather than take up time in the evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home