The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Spill Whose Blood, Now?

Pope Benny assimilated 23 new bishops into the Catholic World Domination Brigade the other day. This wouldn't concern me at all normally as I couldn't care less what the Pope or his minions blather on about or what size fish hats they wear on their misguided heads, but this event has me a little freaked out.

It's only because, when he was speaking to the newbies, he said they should spread the Catholic faith and that they should be true, "'usque ad sanguinis effusionem' (to the point of spilling blood), the pope reminded the new cardinals that their red robes signify their willingness to die for their faith."

Um, "die" for their faith? Is that a new thing? I mean, I understand that in the past when folks were being thrown to the lions (literally), it might have been an issue, but today, no one is freaking out and killing Catholics - that I'm aware of, anyway. Unless you're in some Earth-Ass place where Bronze-Age lunatics rule the country, you probably don't have much to worry about when you wear a cross around your neck or say your daily prayers. Am I the only one that thinks this is a little over the top?

Benny was wearing clothes from the 15th century, so maybe that Bronze-Age comment above applies more to him than any others. I'm watching you Ben. I...will be watching...you.

8 Barbaric Yawps:

At 27/11/07 1:17 am, Blogger Vamp DiVerL said...

Nope that's a new one on me too. And I grew up in Catholic grade school.

Does this mean you can "spill blood" then go to confession and be instantly absolved? Then go on to drink the blood of Christ in communion? And then do it all over again?

Repeat....

 
At 27/11/07 7:48 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Hard to say. I know that after having grown up Catholic as well, going back to church now for weddings/funerals/etc... is really goddamn creepy what with all the talk of "drink my blood and you shall have everlasting life" and "this (wafer) is my body which has been given up for you - eat it". I mean, it sounds like a bad Anne Rice novel.

 
At 27/11/07 12:32 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Yup, the blood-related traditions are a bit on the B-movie side of things.

Anyway, when I was in catholic highschool I remember being told about Catholic missionaries who were killed - somewhere in South America, I believe. So it's not out of the question, just extremely rare and requiring being in some unstable ass-backward part of the world.

I just did a google search, and found that the vatican keeps records of such things, and that there were 26 missionaries killed in 2005. However, it looks like most of these were actually armed robberies with a few fights between priests as well.

But I definitely agree with your point. At the church services I occasionally am dragged to (pardon my grammar), it's not uncommon for the pastor to talk about the attacks and abuses they (the congregation, christians in general) have to face from unbelievers. They really do have a persecution complex. Hell, the pastor's talk has scared my wife so much that she feels nervous about reading her bible in public.

 
At 27/11/07 11:09 pm, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Yeah, those poor Christians. I've been asked many times whether or not I'm in one of those violent "atheist gangs" that rove the streets looking for religious folks to stomp.

Persecution complex, indeed.

 
At 27/11/07 11:10 pm, Anonymous JFlav said...

Image in my mind:
The pope, amidst a hail of gunfire, heartens his cardinals by reminding them of their vows to shed their blood for their faith. He prays for their immortal souls and their soon-to-be-ended lives. Meanwhile he speeds away in his armored fucking pope-tank.

Seriously, who is this man to drop hints about one's duty to shed blood when he's got more protection than a mafia don?

 
At 28/11/07 8:16 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Naw, it's ok the pope doesn't have to be prepared to shed blood. It's like on Star Trek - the cardinals wear read so they can be killed at any moment; the pope doesn't wear read, so he's safe.

 
At 28/11/07 8:41 am, Blogger BigHeathenMike said...

Like Hicks said, "He's gotta be the Pope, because only the Pope would need three inches of bulletproof glass to protect him. There's faith in action."

And yeah, I guess the red suits are like the one guy you don't know on the Star Trek away-team. Spock, Kirk, Bones, and Lenny in the red shirt. Who does it suck to be? Lenny, that's who.

 
At 28/11/07 4:38 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Did I really type "read" instead of "red"? Holy crap, I'm retarded today. Glad you got my point though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home