The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Darwin Exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum

This past Thursday I took my daughter to the Darwin exhibit at the ROM. This is a display that is ongoing until August so if you're in the Toronto area anytime over the next couple of months, give it a look.

The first thing you see - which made my little Heathen very happy - were two big Galapagos tortoises. Unless you've seen one of these things, you don't realise how large they are. After this there were many skeletons and small pieces of Darwin's history (think magnifying glasses, notes and even a full-size recreation of his study) that were all quite interesting for the casual or more educated fan.

One thing I liked a lot was the video of several big-name scientists talking about the nature of science and how we know things. They mention creationism and why it's not science, why the testing aspect is what makes scientific inquiry reliable over other ways of "knowing", and that - to some of them, Francis Collins to be specific - science and religion can be compatible.

Overall it was a very enjoyable day and I recommend anyone take a couple of hours and peruse the whole ROM.

2 Barbaric Yawps:

At 4/6/08 9:06 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

I haven't gone and I don't really know if I'll get the chance, what with just buying a house and all. That said, I'd love to see Galapagos tortoises - hell, I want to ride 'em.

 
At 4/6/08 11:04 am, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

Ride 'em...Tortoise? I'd certainly be worth the price of admission to see you, I'd hesitate to say "gallop", around on a giant turtle-like thing.

Let me know if you can make it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home