You've Heard of the Simcoe County District School Board? Morons.
I was over at SkepChick and saw that a terrible situation happened up here close to where I live. Some idiot took the word of a "psychic" who said an autistic girl was being sexually abused at her school - and the "psychic" was obviously full of grade A bullshit. Read about it here and then check out the letter I sent off the the SCDSB - if you care at all (and you friggin' well should), please do the same.
Simcoe County District School Board(Big Horn tip to both Skepchick and Some Canadian Skeptic)
Education Centre 1170
Today I read the story of Colleen Leduc and her autistic daughter, Victoria. I was dumbfounded and amazed at the gullibility of the principal, vice-principal, teacher, and educational assistant; in this day and age, who gives credence to a random comment by a supposed "psychic"? If people believe in the accuracy of alleged mind-readers, that is their perogative, but to go to the lengths these people did is embarrassing to the highest degree possible.
Beyond that, the harm and cost to Ms. Leduc is near incalculable. She has now lost faith (and reasonably so!) in the people running her daughter's educational institution and as such, has to stay home with Victoria. If the "educational assistant" initially responsible for this debacle has not been let go, it is long past time.
In my opinion, the very least the Simcoe County District School Board can do for Ms. Leduc would be:
1. Issue a public apology to Ms. Leduc and Victoria.
2. Denounce "psychics" and vow to never again take the word of anyone regarding student welfare without the presentation of credible evidence.
3. As a tax-funded institution, the school should not be endorsing, let alone participating in, paranormal activities and as such, the school officials need to denounce the practice.
4. Place formal charges against the "psychic" for allegation of criminal activity as well as public mischief.
5. The Simcoe County District School Board, the "psychic" or both need to compensate Colleen Leduc for the time she is now forced to take off work because of the tremendous incompetence of everyone involved in this terrible situation.
Had one person demonstrated the basic common sense to question the allegation made by a "psychic" fraud, this ridiculous and embarrassing scene could have been avoided. Sadly, a worldview based in objective reality is obviously lacking in key personnel. Shame on you all.