The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Friday, July 04, 2008

A Response to "Kisha" - from Jesus Didn't Tap

In response to a commenter named "Kisha", who made the quoted statement below after reading my post Jesus Didn't Tap, I just couldn't resist answering. First, her piece, just as she wrote it:
I think you all need JESUS. He could have called down thousands of Angels to save himself however he did not tap out and say your not worth it to me. He went ahead and died knowing there were going to be people like you that would reject him. I actaully own the shirt and have it on today and i am proud to wear it because my jesus didn't tap and leave me for a life of hell he saved my soul.
Dear Kisha:

Ok, firstly you said:
"He could have called down thousands of Angels to save himself however he did not tap out and say your not worth it to me."

How many damn times to I have to tell you people that it's "you're"? I'd think that if English was good enough for Jesus, maybe you'd learn how to use it properly like him. (Yes, I'm being r e a l l y sarcastic)

And seriously, do you believe in "angels"? How old are you?

Secondly, the whole:
"He went ahead and died...."
No, I believe he "rose" - If I may...:
"Matt. 28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
28:7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you."
See, I wouldn't make that up. So your Jesus didn't die for you at all. It's sorta like Superman saying he'll take a bullet for you. It's not that grand of a gesture if you're...you know, immortal. I guess there can be more than one Highlander.

Lastly, you said:

"...my jesus didn't tap and leave me for a life of hell he saved my soul."

I think that Matthew 27:46 makes it pretty clear how your pal Jesus felt:
"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
That sounds like a verbal tap-out to me. Especially when he is, as mentioned above, immortal. I mean, if he's the Son of God who was sent to do all that jazzy stuff, he knew he wasn't going to really die, so why be a pussy and whine about it? I think he was faking the "pain" and "suffering" to make it seem like a huge sacrifice to folks like you who don't use that thing in your head.

Oh, and could you please explain to me why no one else, anywhere, mentioned the damn zombies?
"Matt. 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many."
You'd think someone would've mentioned zombies.

9 Barbaric Yawps:

At 5/7/08 4:29 am, Blogger Atheist in a mini van. said...

Kisha said...I think you all need JESUS.
I think you need an iota of skepticism. What is this Jesus going to do for me or Mike? And, I'm not talking about vague, warm-and-fuzzy, rationalization-after-the-fact actions. I mean, since you're on a first name basis with the big Kahuna, sure you can name some specific, otherwise unexplainable things he can do. Right?

He could have called down thousands of Angels to save himself however he did not tap out and say your not worth it to me.
You know this how? Oh! That's right - the repeatedly misinterpreted, incomplete and tainted collection of stories told 1-300 years after you Jesus, allegedly, was on this earth. But, let's set that aside,... so, Jesus could have called on angels, huh? That's interesting since there wasn't a word for "angel" in Jesus' native tongue until well after his, supposed, ressurection. The closest any scholar came come to is "melekha" which means "workers". Three hundred years later, another word was used in the story and they were labeled with a word that meant "to send". LATER STILL, the Greeks used this word: כרוב kruv. This word describes young children. So...where did angels come from? Because, based on the language around at the time your Jesus was said to have died, he would've been talking about workers. Average, ever day workers. You say Jesus could've called them, but did not. Well, why would you? The "workers" in this time period were disposable to the ruling families. None would've been granted an audience with anyone who might have prevented his crucifixion.
He went ahead and died knowing there were going to be people like you that would reject him.
Again...on what are you basing this knowledge? The Bible? I think we've already established that it's not a reliable source. Furthermore, Jesus most certainly didn't mean us (two thousand years later). He preached that the world would end far before we showed up on the radar.
I actaully own the shirt and have it on today and i am proud to wear it because my jesus didn't tap and leave me for a life of hell he saved my soul.
I'm supposed to consider you an authority because you own a shirt?

 
At 5/7/08 1:47 pm, Anonymous Ontario_Jim said...

Remember: Jesus had a bad weekend for your sins.

("Died" indeed. 'Snort')

 
At 8/7/08 6:30 am, Blogger Renton said...

Mike:
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

By saying this Jesus made reference to Psalm 22.

This psalm deals with the figure of a Suffering Saviour, I know that this sounds riidiculous to you but we believe in this kind of stupid things, you know.

I'm a christian but I enjoy your sense of humor anyway.

I'm writing you from Barcelona, Catalonia, Europe and I apologize for my English.

See you around!
:D

 
At 8/7/08 12:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't he need his hands to tap? Weren't they nailed to a kinda big piece of wood?

 
At 8/7/08 1:27 pm, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

Hey there Renton,

First of all, thanks for reading and liking my sense of humour. I'm glad you can see past my sometimes-fake frothing and have a laugh :)

I have no problem with the fact that people believe in stuff like religion - my problem is with the folks who make it their business to shove their religion into MY life. You, of course, are not doing that - which makes you cool.

Also, the fact that you say you believe these "stupid things" is nice to see. I have a problem with the people who take a huge issue with people like me who can't resist making fun of ridiculous ideas taken too seriously.

Again, I'm glad you have a sense of humour about it and that you get a chuckle out of my site.

 
At 8/7/08 4:45 pm, Blogger Renton said...

Mike:
- my problem is with the folks who make it their business to shove their religion into MY life

Exactly, you must accept God freely into your life, otherwise you are acting against the Gospel itself, see that:

Mathew 10:14
If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town

That is to say, we christians must preach the Word, that is part of our responsability as believers, but the afore mentioned responsability ends here.

The fact of accepting the Word of God or not it is entirely the responsability of the hearer.

Strange though it may seem one of the most important things that God observes is the freedom of the human being (the Bible is full of examples).

And so, dont let anyone (radical pseudo fascists christians included) tell you what you can or cannot do.

This is not our business.

thanks for reading and liking my sense of humour. I'm glad you can see past my sometimes-fake frothing and have a laugh :)

Yes indeed, and I also recommend your blog to my friends!

Take care!

:]

 
At 10/7/08 2:30 am, Blogger Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

Renton,

Beg to differ on "Strange though it may seem one of the most important things that God observes is the freedom of the human being (the Bible is full of examples)."

Just referencing the New testament as the old is far too easy:

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)"

"Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)"

Remembering that this book is ofcourse the inspired word of god.

 
At 11/7/08 6:30 pm, Blogger Renton said...

Sean:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Hi Sean!
You are taking the reference out of context.

What Paul is saying is that we must observe tha laws of man and do not cause any scandal.

A good example of the spirit of equality between men, is found in the Epistle to Philemon.
Take into account that Onesimus is a run slave and Philemon is his former master.

Paul reminds Philemon that Onesimus's conversion has brought about a new state of affairs. And so Onesimus is returned "no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a beloved brother" (vs. 16).

Do not forget this:
27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Galatians 3:27-29.

Remembering that this book is of course the inspired word of God.

Sure, that's what the book itself says!
:D

Another thing, accepting God is something that only you can do.

Nobody can force you to accept freely anything, it's simply up to you.

Have mercy with my English 'cause I'm foreigner!

See you around!

 
At 2/6/10 2:56 am, OpenID obbop said...

Dead humans arising from the grave and roaming the city.

Shoulda' made the local headlines or whatever way back then.

I never hear today's Xian religion spewers babbling about Matthew 27:52.

It must be inconvenient OR, perhaps, the "flock" feels inconvenienced by that passage and tithes/donations/"love gifts" whatever decline when the Bible babblers mention that passage so the word and/or experience made the rounds and that passage disappeared from the scene.

On a side note, the lack of rational or critical thinking and/or circular "reasoning" used by the indoctrinated/brainwashed ones always mystifies me to a certain extent BUT.....

decades of studies inform us of the tremendous power outside influences have upon the extremely malleable brains of youth from birth up to the ages of 7 to 9 or so years of age.

Often, what is learned to be "true" and "factual" then is a life-long belief.

As for those older who become convinced of Biblical Xian "Truth" I wonder how much of that belief is due to an extreme fear that death is a state of complete non-existence for eternity?

If humans had NO fear of death I wonder how popular religions promoting eternal life would be?

I can not prove the existence or non-existence of life after death nor the existence of a Creator no matter how defined so I remain neutral, an agnostic.

But I do feel sorry, to a certain extent, to the rabid believers of that which is unprovable to mere mortals.

And wouldn't it be humorous IF there WAS a "God-head" and the Hindus got it right!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home