The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Sunday, September 07, 2008

UFC 88 - Holy Shit

So Rashad Evans took Chuck Liddell in the second round last night. Talk about KTFO. Jumpin' Jesus on a Ritz Cracker, that was fucking insane. I'll be amazed if Liddell's jaw isn't broken - but he did, apparently, show up at the post-fight press conference. Chuck's a game guy and the UFC's poster boy, so he'll make an appearance wherever Dana requests.

Man, I really don't like Evans though. I noticed last night again, as was also mentioned on the MMA blog Fightlinker, that Evans went to hit Chuck after his very clear KO. The ref stopped him, but that's really not the point. When Rashad kicked Sean Salmon's face into his occipital bone, he jumped on him and punched him again, then wound up to throw another but the ref tackled him off.

It's a sign of control and character when you know damn well that you've won the fight and you stop hitting the guy. I see people like Rich Franklin do it and it makes a huge difference in how people view both you and the sport. Think of Muhammad Ali punching George Foreman and then, arm cocked, watching as Foreman stumbled around and fell to the mat. There was no need for the follow up and Ali knew it.

Rashad Evans is a good fighter, but he's no Ali. He's no Franklin. At some point, he's going to have to recognize that who you are is just as important as what you can do. Mark my words, he's going to be wondering and whining pretty soon about why the fans don't like him. Two words, Rashad: Showboating douchebag.

3 Barbaric Yawps:

At 7/9/08 8:02 pm, Blogger Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

I will have to wait until it comes out on dvd. Sounds like Evans is a bit of a prick.

 
At 21/9/08 2:24 am, Blogger Matt said...

Um, last I checked you are supposed to keep fighting until the ref stops the fight. Every good fighter will continue to attack until the ref makes him stop, regardless of how "obvious" it is that the opponent is defeated. This happens all the time in MMA. I also think it's funny that you hate Rashad's showboating, and then cite Ali as an example of how to behave. Ali was an awesome fighter AND quite the showboat himself. He talked more trash than any other boxer I'm aware of. He danced around the ring and taunted his opponents. And we loved him for it. But hey, the last thing I want while I'm being entertained is to be entertained, right.

 
At 21/9/08 3:00 pm, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

Matt:
Fair enough about the showboating comment and comparison to Ali. I completely stand by my point that Ali hit Foreman and could have hit him two or three more times while George fell, but didn't. That's the maturity of Ali.

My problem really isn't with the showboating, it's with the lack of sense. I disagree with your point that, "Every good fighter will continue to attack until the ref makes him stop, regardless of how 'obvious' it is that the opponent is defeated". I've seen enough fighters stop when an opponent is out (the Ali case above and in my post is a great example) to be able to call Rashad out on his actions and to not respect him for it.

He's a very good fighter, I certainly won't take that away from him, but it really seems like he needs to mature as a person. That's a comment that could apply to a lot of the fighters, but in this instance, it's squarely on Evans' chest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home