The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Politics

I enjoyed watching most of the French language debate here in Canada tonight. I thought May did better then expected and Dion silenced some of his critics. Harper took a lot of abuse, but he's the guy on top at the moment, so of course he's going to get piled on: that's not to say he wasn't a bit of an evasive douchebag. I very much hope (though am not expecting) he gets his ass kicked off of Sussex Drive.

In a south-of-the-border related note, I wish people wouldn't do what I'm seeing in at least one clip with Sarah Palin (I was on the always great One Good Move and watching a video of Olberman on MSNBC called "Palin's Greatest Hits"). I'm referring to when Palin and Couric are walking along a sidewalk and Couric asks about Rick Davis and a conflict of interest, then Palin is seen just walking and pausing for approximately four seconds. They never show the answer. If we're going to make fun of her, let's hear the answer. If she's actually unqualified, let's hear the answer. I'm in agreement that she's a simple-minded, unqualified fool, but don't play the bullshit game of waiting and waiting for an answer that doesn't come and then laugh the night away. If a politician needs several seconds to form a coherent answer to a question (even if it is a question that you lead yourself into with an unintelligent, uninformed opinion), then they should get it. Once the reply comes back, then you can do with it what you will.

Of note, when you actually hear the answer, it's cringe-worthy enough. So if your goal is to make fun of her, or put her down, or belittle her knowledge, show the damn answer and go to town.

Until then, shut up. Stop with the lowest common denominator crap.

5 Barbaric Yawps:

At 2/10/08 8:28 am, Blogger Paul said...

With whom would you replace Harper? Dion? His apparent cluelessness aside, do you really think the theiving Liberal party have learned their lesson? I'm not ready to let them back into Sussex Drive quite yet. They need to think about what they've done for a while.

 
At 2/10/08 9:30 am, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

No, I'm not a huge Dion fan either. And it's not even that I think he's a bad guy, I think it's the people in the Liberal party that, once they get in power, they start to act like they're above the damn law.

Harper just doesn't care about anything BUT power, as far as I can tell. Layton seems ok, but he's like a plastic robot or something. I'm interested to see him in the English debate tonight to get a better read of him and his policies.

 
At 3/10/08 12:59 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

Basically, I don't trust anybody anymore wrt running the country.

Agreed on Palin, let her prove her stupidity by her answers. The vast majority of smart, wise people can't just come up with an answer in a millisecond either.

 
At 5/10/08 11:38 am, Blogger Rean House said...

I dunno, I think Harper has done a pretty good job so far. He's cut taxes (like he said he would), he's slowly toughening up the criminal justice system and, unlike his competitors, he's kind of honest and doesn't take as many cheap pot shots. Personally I think we're better off with him at Sussex drive. D

Dion puts my teeth on edge. Layton is an arrogant prick. May is too soft (she'll have us all eating sprouts and asking our meat for forgiveness before eating it).
Anyway, excellent blog, I read every week.

 
At 5/10/08 1:23 pm, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

I have to disagree with the "Harper is doing ok" point, but hey, your opinion is just as valid as mine. Thanks for being a regular reader - I very much appreciate those. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home