The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

MedPod101 Repeats Standard Line

I listen to MedPod 101 - it's a podcast on medicine that is quite often dorky with silly voices and skits, but there is usually quality information in there. Recently, however, they've been doing some shows on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) with more leniency that I'm comfortable with. Their show on homeopathy was alright, but it ended with the presenter saying that he'd refer to a homeopath if he thought that his patient could benefit from a placebo. He said that he'd be responsible and tell the patient that there's no scientific evidence to support homeopathy, but it might be something they'd be interested in checking out. If the patient proceeded to go and try it, so be it, and hopefully they'd benefit from the placebo. After all, as Andrew Weil said, "a placebo won't harm anyone."

I hate that line. The old what's the harm canard. I hope the medpod folks go to that site and read about the harm that believing in fairy tales can do. I find it staggering that the students in med. schools (and the graduates who are practicing on people) buy into something as ludicrous as homeopathy. It saddens me.

1 Barbaric Yawps:

At 4/3/09 9:29 am, OpenID sunnyskeptic said...

Homeopathy is NOT all right! :) I think the problem I have with it is that if I'm looking for something in the drug store, I have to either know what I'm getting, or really read the back first to make sure I'm not getting some placebo. No thank you! :) I feel that there is quite a bit of harm in misleading people, no matter how that is done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home