The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Indonesia Welcomes the 12th Century!

I was sent this article today that talked about the beautiful land of Indonesia. Specifically, the province of Aceh, which passed a couple of new laws. If you head over to that link, you'll see that the good folks there think it's just dandy to inject "government" powers into your marriage and...what's that term?...stone you to fucking death. Yes, that's it.

More and more, I'm reminded of why religion is such a fucking plague on this planet. There are moderate Muslims out there who think these laws are as barbaric and stupid as I do, but the wackjobs will always be right if you stick to the "holy" texts.
24:2 "The adulterer and the adulteress, scourge ye each one of them (with) a hundred stripes. And let not pity for the twain withhold you from obedience to Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of believers witness their punishment."

Or...

25:68 And those who cry not unto any other god along with Allah, nor take the life which Allah hath forbidden save in (course of) justice, nor commit adultery - and whoso doeth this shall pay the penalty; 25:69 The doom will be doubled for him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein disdained for ever;
Right, so a hundred lashes or death. Nice. It always kills me (HA!) that these morons think people are offending the literal creator of the universe, but they think they have to interfere and dole out these punishments themselves. The *creator of the fucking universe* can't handle that job.

"I'm over here trying to make a triple neutron star cluster and...what's that? On Earth? They cheated on their wives? Oh, fuck me, I've got to go ALL the way over there to lash them... What? Oh, right, KILL them. Man, it's just one more thing followed by another..."

My favorite line of the article is this one:
"This law is a preventive measure for Acehnese people so that they will avoid moral degradation,"
Call me what you will, but I think beating the living shit out of someone or, worse yet, stoning them to death, is pretty goddamn morally deficient. I guess, as I said off the start, I'm not surprised. It is religion after all.

(tip o' the horns to Tony for the email)

1 Barbaric Yawps:

At 15/9/09 8:41 pm, Blogger King Aardvark said...

I'm a little annoyed at my partial Indonesian heritage right now. Then again, that country's always been a little off. Really too bad they're heading down this way. Indonesia's Muslim community used to be the most sensible one - just the wacky 4am call to prayer and that was it, more or less.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home