The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Purpose Driven Thingy - Day 11

Yes, that's right, it's back: The Purpose Driven Thingy Project! This is the year to finish the damn thing and here we are following up Day 10 a mere ten months later. A professional procrastinator is me. Ok, here we go (resume)....

Day 11: Becoming Best Friends with God.

God wants to be your best friend. Actually, he "yearns" for it. Sort of like Molly Ringwald watching Jake's girlfriend in the shower in 16 Candles and wishing she were her. You know...yearning.

Fear of God was more common in the Old Testament after the Fall. Jesus changed all that when He died for us. As Louis CK says, however, "It was a little presumptuous...He coulda asked first." Then comes the first weird quote of the chapter:
He planned the universe and orchestrated history, including the details of our lives, so that we could become His friends.
Geez, how hard up for friends can the creator of the universe be? I picture SadGod sitting on a cloud just gazing woefully down upon a New Year's Eve party and thinking about how rad it would be to just be a regular dude playing RockBand with his buddies.
He made the entire human race and made the Earth hospitable with plenty of time and space for living so we could seek after God, and not just grope around in the dark, but actually find Him.
I've posted the video previously of Neil deGrasse Tyson discussing just how "hospitable" the Earth and universe are to humans, so you can go check that out if you are so inclined (at least 64 degrees is suggested).

Big news! Apparently, there are SIX SECRETS to friendship with God! We'll learn two today and then the other four tomorrow! Ooooooo...I can't wait!

So, first one is...talk to God. Sort of a let down, I'm not going to lie. It's a little anti-climatic. Warren says to talk to God all the time. Like, all. The. Time. "In Eden", says Rick as though he were there taking notes, "'worship' was not an event to attend, but a perpetual attitude." It's nice to know that we have people like Rick Warren around so we can have a first-hand account of what happened in the Garden of Eden. If only we had someone who was on the Death Star so I could ask what the deal was with independent contractors.Warren says that we should use "breath prayers", which he explains are prayers you can say in one breath. Sort of like the phrases I mutter under my breath while I'm listening to this tripe, only with less swearing and bitterness and more Jesus!

Seriously, I'm trying to get back into this because I really want to finish this self-assigned project, but it's really difficult because I drift mentally off while Warren drones on in his simplistic fatuity.

Rick then breaks down the difference between meditation and worry. Easy equation. Ready? Ok. Meditation = worry - problems + bible verses.

There you go. You're welcome.

Warren says, "The more you meditate on God's word, the less you will have to worry about." He is obviously discounting rent and utilities.

Ok, to recap, the two "secrets" for today were: 1. Prayer lets you talk to God and 2. meditation lets God talk to you. Remember these for tomorrow because I'm sure there will be a test of some kind.

Point to Ponder: God wants to be my best friend. BESTIES!

Verse to Remember: "Friendship with God is reserved for those who reverence Him." Psalm 25: verse 148

Question to Consider: "What can I do to rewire myself to think about God and talk to Him more often throughout the day?"

Day 12 soon! Bate your breath!

3 Barbaric Yawps:

At 14/1/11 11:22 am, Anonymous L.Long said...

You are d'man!!!
it take a strong strong stomach to stay with BS of such grand heights.
How you can keep your sanity when listening to this drivel is amazing.
I do enjoy your rants.

 
At 23/2/11 11:01 pm, Blogger Kold_Kadavr_flatliner said...

Perhaps nobody told you they love you. I do if that matters. I’d die for you in an instant. Yes, yes, I know. The world looks down on the term ’to love’, yet, I’m not OF this world. If you read the story of Maximillion Kolbe, I’d do the exact same thing outta love for you, yet, I don’t even know you, yet, I wanna preserve and cherish life, for I’m a small peAce-de-resistance of a Larger Picture. God bless you.

 
At 24/2/11 7:41 am, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

KKf: I have people who tell me they love me every day, but...thanks? ...I think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home