The Lower Quote, As If You Didn't Know, Is By Richard Dawkins, Son.

Monday, April 02, 2012

The Noise Has Gotten Duller

You know that noise? The noise you hear when you're in a big city, or perhaps with a kid who has colic; it's an unending hum or background weeping/crying/screaming. It never goes away and you can only tune it out for so long before it grates on your brain to an extent that wears you down. You just need to get away, run to the woods, call in favors from the grandparents, anything to remove yourself from the situation so you won't, as Louis CK said in one of his bits, "end up in the paper tomorrow."

That's how I felt in late January of this year. To a much lower level, I still feel that way now, but it's waning. I heard about stories and statements and nonsense that I could have written about here, but it was just tedious and felt like I was trying to clear up the shit of a thousand elephants with a grapefruit spoon. It was time to take a break from the online blathering.

Now that a few months have passed, I think it's just about time to get back to the business of taking up the grapefruit spoon and shoveling away. Perhaps "shoveling" is a tad grandiose for what it is that happens here. Usually I just point out something silly or annoying; make some crude, profanity-laden commentary; then wrap it up with a pithy observation often making some inane pop-culture reference that six people will get, most of whom will think I'm weird. Such is the yoke I hoist upon my scaly shoulders.

All that said, with any luck and a bit of spit on the hands, this blog should be up and running at medium speed for the forseeable future. It will likely take a bit for me to get used to sitting down and tapping the keys again, but writing often (at least once a week, hopefully) is a goal. I hope the twelve of you will stick it out.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Barbaric Yawps:

At 2/4/12 1:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back. I missed the pithy comments and profanity, goddammit

 
At 2/4/12 4:08 pm, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

Thanks! Goddammit!

 
At 3/4/12 8:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, welcome back! Thank FSM, I could only read that Rick "Frothy Mix" Santorum entry just so many timmes...

Just Mike

 
At 3/4/12 1:15 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Mike, don't let the background noise fade too much. Then you will hear the voices clearly and won't be able to get anything done.(shut up,I'm talking to Mike.) Anyway, welcome back.

1 of the 12

 
At 9/4/12 4:23 am, Anonymous Dylan said...

Welcome back Mike! Have been enjoying your blog for years!

 
At 9/4/12 8:58 am, Blogger Heathen Mike said...

Thanks, everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home